Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The obligatory welcome post.

My old blog, Threads and Needles Sticks and Strings, has been dormant for almost a decade other than a 'hey my life blew up, sorry about that' post.  AND the photo hosting site that I used went defunct and lost all the pictures.   So starting over again with a new blog here.

Hi, I'm Karla.

I work as a managerial accountant for a major midwest utility company headquartered in Tulsa OK.  Our division office is in Overland Park, KS and I work there three days a week most weeks.   On the other two days, I work from a local office and avoid the hour plus commute!   I'm still a few years out from retirement, but it's on the horizon.

I have one son, a daughter in law and two wonderful grandchildren.   I was widowed in my 40s; my late husband, Walt, was a law enforcement officer.  He died of a massive stroke/embolism when our son was just starting his senior year of high school.   JC went into the US Marine Corps right after high school graduation, so in the space of 9 months, I went from a wife and mother to a single woman living alone for the first time in 25 years.  Talk about a culture shock!

My hobbies revolve around all kinds of fiber and cloth.  I knit, spin, weave, crochet, tat, quilt, do counted thread needlework of all types, twilling, cutwork and other traditional surface embroidery.  I've done some costume design in the past.  I play handbells.   I read - a lot.

I also love vintage sewing machines and tools.  My most "modern" sewing machine is from the mid 1960s!   There's an honest solidity to the old cast metal machines that I love.  New machines may have tons of fancy stitches and built in walking feet and cut your thread for you, but I doubt they will still be functioning perfectly in 100 years like a Singer Model 15 or 99 treadle can.

My knitting, crochet, spinning and weaving are all documented on Ravelry from 2006 on (and a very few older projects that I've put up for one reason or another).   I'll talk a bit about my knitting here, but mostly it's going to be about the projects in the crafts that Ravelry doesn't host - the embroidery of various types, the sewing, and the quilting.  And books, and bells/church, with a bit about my faith and family. (And shooting and archery and walking - you have to put down the needles at SOME point.)

Welcome to my world.