Saturday, November 11, 2017

EXHIBIT: Mummies of the World

Just got back from Union Station in KC and their exhibit "Mummies of the World".   I spent about 4 hours in the exhibit and loitered through at my usual 'read every card' pace.   One nice thing about going to museums alone is that there's no 'hurry up' nagging from other people.   As with the "Pompeii" exhibit, I timed my visit to take advantage of a free public lecture presented  with the exhibit.

The lecture was presented by Dr. Hunt of the Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian.   He spoke about the new techniques of non-invasive study of mummies and other artifacts.  CT scanning and other radiography, micro sampling for DNA and other chemical analysis.

Sometimes I wish I would have been selfish and gone ahead with my masters and eventual doctorate in anthropology instead of opting to do the sensible thing and get an accounting degree and spend 30 years in business.   I know I am good financial shape because of that decision and I understand why my mother insisted on it.   As it turns out, I DID have to support a minor(ish) child after my husband died young.  JC was still in High School (though he had just turned 18) when his dad died.

But I would have LOVED to be the one giving that lecture instead of listening to it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.