Friday, November 24, 2017

Quilt WiP: "On Ringo Lake" - Clue 1


It's 7:30 am Kansas time.  Clue 1 of "On Ringo Lake" just went live - a bunch of 9 patches.  Tiny little 9 patches.  Coming after the 2.5 inch unit size for the Scrappy Sister's Choice, I feel like I'm piecing miniatures!

Excited to get started on this, but need to also get the binding on the Scrappy Sister's Choice/Chinese Coins.    And the finishing on the first Camp project, and pick up the gussets on my socks.  (And laundry LOL.)

Good thing it's a holiday weekend!

Around 9 am:   Here's my first half dozen squares.  So tiny, so cute!!!.

Bonnie has us doing them in (short) strip sets, but I'm going a bit off the rails after this first set, because I pulled all of THIS out of the "strips and squares" bin, and I would REALLY like to use them up.  These are mostly the trimmed down off-cuts from the background strips of the Scrappy Sister's Choice. 


Things I've already learned from this quilt:
  • more accurate cutting - leave the line on the fabric!    Not all my stuff from the bin is to that standard
  • so measure, measure, rip, redo, trim.    It's probably going to take me all weekend to do these little units. 
  • I have a tendency to have an nice accurate seam allowance at the start, but at the end of the strip set, I veer off.   Using a stiletto is helping.  Good habit to acquire. 
  • I may need a different leader/ender during this project.   THIS bucket is not the darks for Ringo Lake!  Woe is me if I get my piles of fabrics confused.
     


    UPDATES

    Friday night - 15 blocks done (with several strip sets also completed).   Well, it's actually 14.5 blocks.  Why does the bobbin thread always run out at the most inopportune time?   Sock gussets are picked up.

    Saturday 9 am - chugging along, oiled the Featherweight, wound more bobbins and cut more strips.   I'm cutting just one strip out of each aqua, then splitting that strip in half.   That gets me just a half dozen cuts out of each set, but mixes it all up so that it doesn't look strip pieced.   Clever, Bonnie!  On the browns, I'm cutting squares and using the pile from the bin for the neutrals.   Every one is different.

    Saturday 10 pm - more blocks done, laundry done.  Bells play at church tomorrow, so I can't stay up too late.   Setting the alarm for the first time this weekend  ;-(.

    Sunday after church and lunch and library drop off/pick up - I think I'm going to need more interesting neutrals.   When I 'window shop', I'm going to start to pick up just one or two fat quarters of 'conversation print' or 'shirting' type neutrals for the stash.  My old 'only solids, semi-solids or tone on tone' definition of what's a neutral has totally gone by the wayside, thanks to Bonnie. 

    Sunday 7 pm - bushed, and still have 10 more blocks to press and trim up.  I'm done for the day, I think.   Not much to do after work tomorrow and it will give me something to look forward to.   And then the rest of the week to work on getting the binding ready for the Scrappy Sister's Choice. 

    Monday - DONE! (last batch of blocks not quite in the picture.   I'm a stitcher, not a photographer LOL.)   Furthermore, I'm unabashed that I use (clean) pizza boxes for storage.  I do have a nice ArtBox storage box, but it's full of my hand piecing project!   I should use a JoAnn's coupon one of these days and get another one.
    That extra baggie of bits and pieces is the result of having WAY too much fun with strip sets yesterday.   Somewhere in there, I got enough aqua/neutral for another 10 blocks.  Oh well, if I need to make some substitutions, I will have the wherewithal.

    Also Monday - shared to the linky party for week 1 on Bonnie's Blog
#quiltvillemystery
#onringolakequilt

2 comments:

  1. Lovely 9-patches! With all the variation in fabric you are going to get a beautifully dynamic quilt: so much eye-candy already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My first Bonnie Hunter Mystery and so far, I am loving it.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.