Sunday, January 14, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 3

Block #3 of Pat's design is another classic block - a half log cabin.   This design starts in the corner and builds diagonally instead of starting in the center and building out in concentric layers as a full log cabin does.  This is another 12 inch (finished) block.

I actually have four existing log cabin blocks from the corners of the old quilt.   And it would be easy to just take one apart, but I want to use the four of them as the focal point somewhere in the new quilt (though I'm not sure if it will be on the front or the backing).   So I'm starting over with a fresh block for this week.

Traditionally, the starting block of log cabins is either red or yellow, to stand for the hearth/heart of the house.  So I'm going to use the new soft rose fabric for the center.   Then there are two light 'logs' and two dark 'logs'.   I think the darker shirting and new background for the lights with the new blue and one of the old blues - the star fabric from the recycled sashing again.

auditioning fabric for the block
All cut out.   You'll notice that the blues are switched from the 'audition' photo above.   The sashing remnants are only 11-12 inches long, and I needed 12.5 for the outermost strip, so I needed to do the outside pair of pieces from the new yardage.

And all put together.  Once I realized that I had cut my center square 4.25 instead of 4.5 and recut it, the block went a LOT better.  Even experienced quilters can mess up.

Solstice Block #3

By the way, the block is really quite square.   I am no photographer!

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.