Sunday, April 22, 2018

Slow Stitching Sunday - April 22, 2018

Wow, fast week!  Work is heating up on the usual monthly schedule and there's another (minor, thankfully) project heading my way.   So crafting time will be light on the ground this week.  I'm not setting any goals for myself, because any crafting time I manage will be a hit or miss thing.

I do have progress on all my Slow Stitching projects for this week, though;  first up is knitting.  With the finishes on the Tanglewood set last weekend, I'm FINALLY back to the blue socks.  

When they got interrupted by the test knitting, the first foot was done all the way down to the start of the toes, and the second was just at the end of the gusset decreases.   Got half of the foot on that one done, and figured out that I want to do round toes on this pair.  BTW, I promised to show the yarn management system for these.   The cuffs, heels and toes are one yarn - a long color change yarn called Vinca, and it is also one of the four yarns that make helical stripes throughout the leg and foot.

As you can see, I have the yarns partitioned off; with four yarns and four needles (one quarter of the sock on each needle and knit with the fifth needle in the set), I change yarns each time I change needles.   I just set the bucket in front of me with the current working yarn closest to me and rotate the bucket a quarter turn counterclockwise with each needle/yarn change.   This keeps everything tangle free, though I have to be careful how I set down and pick up the sock so as not to let anything get out of place.  (This care is why this project can't travel.)

Needlework kicked off a new project this week.   I picked the last of the Silver Needle camp projects in celebration of getting my registration in for the one this fall!   And it's going crazy fast.   Here it is at two hours.  Now, that does include the time it took to add muslin to all four sides of the linen so that I could use my Q Snaps to hold it.   The linen was just a smidgen too small for the qsnaps, but the design is too large to fit into even my largest spring hoop.    This is 18 count over 2 with perle cotton; and all I have left is the scarecrow and the petals of the sunflower there in the center.

And last but not least, good progress on the EPP section of the sampler quilt.   I decided that I wanted three different blues, so I replaced one of the dark rosettes with one made of one of the new medium blues, and I got more of the fill in neutrals done as well.   I'll use the other dark rosette on the back somewhere - maybe on the label?  I'm going to need to baste more neutral pieces this week.

I hope you've enjoyed the update; thank you for dropping by.  Please also visit the other Slow Sunday Stitchers who linked up on Kathy's blog this week.

10 comments:

  1. Nice to have a choice of projects to work on when you have some hand work time. Love the blue you are using for the socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. The blue yarns for the socks are all leftovers from other projects other than the Vinca. This sock pattern is great for leftovers since it only takes about 25 grams per yarn, but it goes slower than one yarn socks due to the yarn management.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see your system of keeping the wools organized!
    Love the socks you are knitting... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. This is my second pair using this technique of helix stripes. I like the look, and it's great for scrap socks. But it's SO slow.

      Delete
  3. I love that you have so many different types of projects going at the same time. I am the same way. I love EPP - \Patchwork of the Crosses especially - love knitting , although I am not very good at it, love Cross stitch, not good at that either lol! and just learning wool applique! Visiting from Slow Stitch Sunday! Happy Stitching! xo Jan @ Sew and Sow Farm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by! I almost always have at least three or four projects in progress - knitting something, a piece of needlework and some hand piecing or quilting - sometimes both!

      I haven't tried wool applique, but one of the gals in my church quilt group made a darling candle mat and I'm tempted.

      Delete
  4. Today I decide to give a chance for my red and white hexies...the saga continues. Your projects are all interesting, I love cross-stiting but don't have eyes for a 18-count fabric any more, sure your embroidery will be beautiful, and your rosetas are so pretty. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your lovely red hexis in the Slow Stitching line up. They are so pretty.

      I use a lighted magnifier for my stitching. This project is 18 count over two, so 9 stitches per inch. So it's pretty big, but for 24 over 2 (12 stitches per inch) and certainly for smaller counts, I need that magnification.

      Delete
  5. Karen cuantos y maravillosos progresos.
    Royal1688

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your yarn bucket. What a great way to keep things from tangling. Your cross-stitch is very pretty and you are stitching it quickly. I have yet to attempt EPP, but I enjoy seeing those hexies. I like the medium blue.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.