Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Knitting WiP - shoulder seams

The steeks are all secured on the Rosemarkie Waistcoat, time for the shoulder seams.

I turned the vest inside out and moved the stitches that are on the shoulder stitch holders onto double point straight needles.  Then I did a modified three needle bindoff.  First I put the needle carrying the front and back shoulders parallel, picked up a stitch from the front and the back and knit them together.
Then I bound off the live stitches.
You can do both steps in one pass for a traditional three needle bind off. But I like doing the two passes for a shoulder seam because it reinforces the point where the weight of the garment puts the most stress on the knitting.


Here's what it looks like bound off - a little more bulky than a traditional 3 needle bind off, but not as bulky as a sewn seam.

inside



outside
Pretty nifty.   A note to myself for future - do the 'bind off the steeks' round in pattern and it will look even better.   I could duplicate stitch and make it totally disappear.   I'll have to think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.