Sunday, September 25, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching - September 25, 2022

Fall has arrived in Kansas.   The summer heat wave broke this week with some much needed rain; we can use more as we are still verging on drought conditions.  But at least the temps have moderated.  The oak trees in front of my house are full of acorns and all the neighborhood squirrels are busy hoarding away food for the winter.   This leads to some very upset squirrels who call those trees home - they try to chase off the interlopers with much chattering and tail flipping.

Like the squirrels, I am putting food away for the winter; I spent a lot of time in the kitchen and garden this week - the tomatoes are coming in for preserving in good amounts.   My Roma variety is getting dehydrated to make tomato power for sauces and canned in homemade Mariana sauce, and my cherry variety is going into the freezer to be canned later or just used from frozen.   I will be making applesauce and apple butter soon, too.  Freezing grated zucchini/courgette in amounts to use in quick breads (2 cups for my favorite version of zucchini bread), and there is a batch of banana muffins in the oven as I write this.   I have breakfast sorted for the next couple of weeks!

There was some crafting time as well.   I hit the center of the lace border on the green shawl.   When I started on the lace, I had 60 grams of yarn left.  When I weighed the remaining yarn at the halfway point, there was 33 grams left, so I will not be playing yarn chicken on this project after all!  

And I got to seven hours on the Plaza Sewing Bag.  I have 'sketched in' all the remaining elements to see if everything will work out.

poor lopsided, partially headless horse LOL

As I mentioned last week, I relocated the 'street light' motif to the 'foreground' to see if it would be more proportional and I really like the way it looks.   I'm going to go ahead and finish it off except for the globes, which are stitched in metallic thread, so will go in at the last.  I'll get on that after I check out the rest of the SSS crew (link to current round up).

head of the horse is about halfway up the pole, which makes sense


 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching. We had a little bit of rain last week, but we are still in severe drought conditions in Northern California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have been busy in the kitchen, preparing food for later. It's a,ways good to plan ahead, and to use up that bounty from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are like me, sometimes what we stitch has to be proportional. I am always impressed by people who can. I have tried it a few times, but I am not a fan of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can modify other people's designs (like I did this one), but have never got the courage up to do my own design from scratch. It's something I'd like to try someday, though.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.