Sunday, February 25, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - February 25, 2018

It's been a week of yuck.   We had a small, but nasty ice storm, I came down with a mild (thankfully) bout of the crud that's going around and ran a fever for two days.  I'm behind at work and it's a short month. 

Crafting was the only token point of light in a dull, grey "blech" sort of week.  

I didn't get any farther along on getting the leaders on the quilting frame.   Braving the ice to get to the hardware store wasn't even on my radar this week.   But everything else trotted right along. 

I finished another applique block for "Aunt Lottie's Garden".   Number 8 of 30 for the main body of the quilt.
I actually remember the print fabric in this rosette in Aunt Lottie's wardrobe.   It was the 'skirt' part of an apron.  She was already retired from her job as a bank teller when I was old enough to remember her.   My grandmother, her next older sister, was still working.   In addition to being a rancher's wife, my grandmother ran a couple of small businesses on the side - a little 'butter and egg' delivery (that I was very proud to help with, though I have NO romantic illusions about chickens.  They can be MEAN.) and she baked for the local café.   When harvest came around, on top of all of that, she was feeding a crew of hard working men and boys in the days before agriculture was all that automated; it was an 'all hands on deck' sort of affair for the women in my family.   I was about 8ish and well old enough to peel, chop, and be a general 'go-fer' for my Mom, my Grandma and Aunt L.  Aunt Kate (the oldest sister) was quite elderly by that time, but she was still 'sharp as a tack' and watched my little sister.  

Anyhow, I was headed down into the celler for some canned goods, slipped, fell, and tumbled to the bottom of the stairs.   I'm sure that was JUST what the ladies needed in the middle of lunch prep.  I remember being more frightened than hurt, and crying into a couple of yards of this fabric.   Funny what your memory holds on to, isn't it?

Block #9 is all de-papered (it's a pink one) and I'll get it based to take to work this week.  I may not get it done because I'll probably work through my lunch hour most days. 

"Scrappy Sister's Choice" binding is well into the second side, just working on it a bit before bed each night while winding down.

Test knitting is all but done.   The test knitters got a revised draft with all the changes made, and hopefully we won't find any more edits.   Final photos are due to the designer by Wednesday, so that project has the majority of my attention today.

And last but not least, "Dutch Beauty" is at seven hours.  The section I'm working on looks like a rather spindly tree, but trust me, it's an arbor.


Linked up with Kathy's "Slow Sunday Stitching" round up for this week
 

7 comments:

  1. oh what memories can go into a scrap quilt when using old fabric from clothing. I wish I had some like that. You will get your frame ready one day and put it to use. Hope you are feeling better soon and get caught up at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very blessed. In addition to these blocks, I inherited my grandmother's button box and a small scrap bag. I will be working on the "Pinwheels and Ocean Waves" quilt from those scraps one of these days. The center medallion on that one is done, but I'm a bit stymied as to where to go from there. It needs to be bigger = borders, but what kind?

      I should also share the quilts I inherited. To document them at least.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty flower block and your memories of the fabric are priceless! What stories our quilts can tell! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like reading the stories behind quilts that people make. What special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a beloved Aunt Lottie also! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your memories of that fabric. I think it is wonderful that you are working with it now. Your block is very pretty. So is your stitching.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.