Saturday, February 24, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 11

Block 11 in Pat's quilt is called "Quilt Math".   To me it looks like little fishes.  It's a take off on the classic "Shoo Fly" quilt block, but with the block based on a 16 patch layout instead of a 9 patch, so the center section is twice the size of the outer half square triangles and is pieced with four square patches and sashing.

I'm going to take apart this block to see if I can reuse four of the blue HSTs.  If I'm looking at it right, since both blocks are 12 x 12 finished and a 16 patch grid, the units SHOULD be the same size.


I thought about using the dark rose as the four squares in the center, but I've used that bright rose a fair amount in the last few blocks, and so I'm going to use the pale rose instead. 

All the parts ready to go.   I thought about using the 'Bonnie Hunter neutral' in the corners so I wouldn't have to take those units apart, but decided it needed the constant neutral; the figured corners were just a bit too busy.



I'm a little unhappy with this block, though I do like the color balance.  That blue print is not printed on grain.   So if you sew it on the straight of grain, the diagonal is askew.  And if you sew on the visual diagonal, the straight of grain on the block is wrong.  In this case, it fell where it fell.   I did not have enough fabric to 'cheat' the bias to make it look straight.  

Add to that the fact that the blue is directional and I didn't notice that fact until AFTER the block was together.   At least there are two 'horizontal' and two 'vertical' units and they are diagonally placed across from one another.  I DID recognize the rose as a directional print, and those are all going the same direction (WHEW).  Plus, my piecing on the narrow center sashing could have been more accurate.

Block #11

I'm getting more and more critical of my own work.  That's a good thing in some ways, because if you don't acknowledge the flaws, how can you improve?   But I don't want to be so critical that I stop enjoying it.  

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.