Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 10 (tentative)

Block 10 in Pat's "Solstice" is a take off on the Irish Chain block, but with different sized squares along the diagonals.   It has an X type visual presence in the finished quilt.   I have a block from the old quilt that is an X block that I'll be subbing in. 

This is another one of the blocks that was undersized.  In addition, all the bias in this block and my poor piecing skills back in the beginner days caused it to be VERY skewed.  I had to trim it down to 11.5 inches to even get it close to square and I couldn't get the corners to line up, no matter what I did. 

So another 'floating' block brought out to 12 x 12 (finished).   It's actually good to repeat this in a couple of places around the quilt.  Once looks like a mistake.  More than once looks like a design element.  

Sub for Block #10
I'm marking this block as a 'tentative' substitution. It has VERY strong colors, and may be overpowering in the final layout.    I will replace it with Pat's block in blue and cream with the pale rose accents if that proves to be the case.

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

2 comments:

  1. I think I made this block once years ago and had it be a repeat block for a whole quilt - years ago I dont' think I even have a photo of it anymore in fact one of my girls might have that old quilt - it went by a different name then of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it looked great repeated. I was just rather frustrated by the bias edges. I tried to get the corners to true up, but was unsuccessful. In the end, I got it as flat as I could, and just trimmed the best I could. I keep reminding myself that the rework can show my beginning piecing. The original quilt was my first full sized top. And even today, I have an occasional 'oops'.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.