Saturday, February 17, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 9 (Tentative)

The next block is the huge (32 inch square finished, or 36 inch square with the borders) center focal point section.  The individual units are 8.5 x 8.5 unfinished.   That's bigger than a couple of the blocks in this quilt!

That's a LOT of fabric, and I don't want to use up my replacement and left over fabrics on this block only to run short on the later blocks.  We still have 16 blocks to go, after all!

Plus there are these:



These are the four oversized (18 inches finished each) log cabin blocks that anchored the corners of the original quilt.  When I first envisioned reworking this quilt, but before I found Pat's pattern, I had planned on using these four blocks as the focal point.  If I don't use them for this block, they will make up a big piece of the backing.

I did clean them up and press them; I gave them a Retro Clean Soak since two of them had the staining on the outer edges.   I'm glad I soaked all four blocks and not just the stained ones, as I did a 48 hour soak and had some fading of the rose print on the outermost 'log'.   From now on, I'll stick with 24 hour soaks. 

See the stains and the tear in the outermost 'log'? 
How about now?
And luckily, there was a 4 inch by WoF piece of that neutral left over from patching the Drunkard's Path, and that the tear was in the outermost 'log' so it was easy enough to replace.  I haven't sewn the center seams, though, because I'm not sure if I want them with darks or neutrals in the center.  



But this is a decision that I don't want to make until I see the final layout, borders and all.  So I'm punting.  I may end up making the other block in the end; we will revisit this section when it's time to start assembly.

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.