Sunday, March 11, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - March 10, 2018

Sunday seems to have rolled around faster than usual this week.   Work is back on an even keel (other than my looming end of the month project - ACK!)  And spring has finally arrived in Kansas.  The early bulbs are up and flowering in sheltered places.  Yard work time will shortly be competing with crafting time, so better get going!


Biggest news this week is that I got to the end of the rotation on Dutch Beauty.   I actually went just a bit over ten hours to get to a good stopping place. 
As I said in the 'before and after' post, I always feel at the end of the rotation on this that I have not made much progress.  The project is so huge that ten hours barely makes a dent in what is left to do.   On the other hand - halfway point!!!  I know that if I just keep plugging away at it, it will be done someday.  


Next up in the rotation is a pictorial, Teresa Wentzler's "Millennium".   This one has a rather sad history as to why it's a UFO.   My late husband was an amateur astronomer and asked me to make it for him.   I was working on it when he died, and put it away for over a decade.   I very nearly trashed it when I was evaluating unfinished things a couple of years ago, but I had put so much work into the over one areas and I also love the designer's work.   So it's going to be finished and framed.  I'm about at the end of the last real over one area.  There's a bit down in the quote in the bottom border, but this is the last of the 'confetti over one'.   I'm doing the back stitching as I go, so there will only be the beads and metallic accents left at the end.


I only finished one of the blocks for "Aunt Lottie's Garden" this week.  That's OK, it's my travel project and there's no deadline on it.  I do try not to put deadlines on myself with my crafting.  I have enough of those at work!  I already have the next one marked and basted.  Back to the greens.


Block #9


And the knitting continues in stealth mode.


Thanks to the "Slow Sunday Stitching" crew for the accountability to keep these projects on track!  Run over to this week's link up and see what everyone is doing this week!

24 comments:

  1. WOW! Dutch Beauty is beautiful! Millennium is lovely. They both have so many tiny stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - what was I thinking to have two such detailed projects at the same time?! But I really love both reproduction samplers and pictorials. The next 'modern' piece is on a much more relaxed scale!

      Delete
  2. Your projects are beautiful. I don't like working over one, but the results are always magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a magnifier light. I couldn't do the over one on the pictorial without it.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Which magnifier light do you use? I got one that kind of hangs around my neck, but the light never was in the right place, and it finally quit working anyway.

      Delete
    3. It's an older version of the "York" by Craftlite. Purchased at the Silver Needle in Tulsa. Pricy at about $100, but worth it.

      I had a vintage Dazor, but the joint finally went out on it. My son welded it back together in a fixed position and uses it in his shop. I actually liked it better, but those can get REALLY expensive.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. thanks! all the more when you realize that the original stitcher was just 13. I'm sure her mom or teacher helped with the design, but still!

      Delete
  4. Your Dutch Beauty is a real beauty! And I'm glad you have picked up your 'Millennium' project again after so many years, it must hold a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really bittersweet, but after doing all those little planets, I couldn't just trash it. I'm to a point in widowhood where the good memories outweigh the loss most days. And I'm sure Walt would have wanted me to finish it.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is gorgeous, I don't understand the rotation thing, but whatever it is this is one special piece. An heirloom for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically both of these two projects are huge, long term projects. I get bored working on just one thing. So I time (using my phone's timer and spreadsheet) 10 hours and when I've put that much time in (or a little more), I switch to something else. I have these two projects and a smaller modern project, plus finishing and framing. You'll see Dutch Beauty come back up in a couple of months.

      Delete
  6. All are beautiful. Cross stitch was my passion before quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have crafting distraction. I am constantly trying to find a good balance between yarn (knitting and crochet), thread (the various needlework project) and fabric (quilting). Most days, it's more like juggling!

      Delete
  7. Dutch Beauty is lookin' good! Cool on your Millennium project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to be at the halfway point on Dutch Beauty. I like to leave off with just a little regret that I need to move on to something else and yet excited for the new thing.

      Delete
  8. I just love the first stitchery you show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a deep love for reproduction stitchery. I figure if one of my foremothers could do it, I can do it.

      Delete
  9. Your big cross stitch project is very detailed. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reproductions are always interesting. The pattern book has explanations of the meanings behind each of the motifs. And to think the original stitcher was only 13!

      Delete
  10. I tried to comment earlier but it seems to have disappeared...

    How many projects do you have in your rotation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I currently have a four slot rotation. Dutch Beauty is the historic, Y2K is the pictorial, and the projects from last fall's Silver Needle Camp are the modern and finish/frame.

      There are two more historic, one more pictorial and a modern set of four small samplers 'in the wings' from when I had a larger rotation with ten spots. I decided that was so many that I only was getting around it maybe once a year. I generally have about two hours a week that I can spend on stitching and still have time for my quilts and knitting. It's a balancing act.

      (I think Blogger was having issues earlier, I couldn't update or reply to people for a while.)

      Delete
  11. Incredibly detailed projects and beautiful too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do tend to like the complex ones. But I've seen people on the round up working on HAED monsters, so I'm not the only one!

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.