Sunday, April 15, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - April 15, 2018

So many things to report this week.  


First up - finished the knitted cowl.  Which also finishes the Tanglewood set.   Flip top mittens, slouchy hat and cowl.   All embellished with vintage buttons from my mom's button box.  I was so happy to find that I had five matching buttons in there!



The buttons on the back of the mitten wrists hold the tops back when they are in fingerless glove mode:

Needlework is at a rotation changeover:   I finished ten hours on "Millennium" designed by Teresa Wentzler.   In addition to all the backstitching that I reported on last week, I got the lower robes sketched in on Archangel Raphael.    As you can see, three hours doesn't get me very far with the confetti type stitching that this designer uses.   When I pick this back up, I'll start working on establishing a similar 'outline' on the left side.   
I get to start a NEW project for the 'modern' slot in my rotation.   Whichever one I choose, getting it set up and ready to stitch this afternoon will be fun.  My choices are:
  1. The last of the class projects from last fall's Silver Needle camp - an extract from a Plum Street Samplers chart
  2. The 2nd of the "Elements" series from Victoria Sampler - hardanger and special stitches in a band sampler format.  (I have the first one done from an online class and the other three in the stash.)
  3. An Elizabeth Designs Teaching Sampler that's been in my stash since 1999.  "Garden Delights".
  4. A Silver Needle "Gnome" with fun fibers (fluffy beard). 
The stash is deep and wide.
I want to do them all, so this might be a preview of the "modern" slot for the next several rounds! 

And finally, my handwork on the current quilt continues to be hexis for "It was the 80s".   I have about 30 of the neutrals prepped and am starting to put everything together.  I was originally going to make this section oversized and just cut it to 6.5 x 18.5 inches, but after some reflection, I think a better plan is to EPP to within a partial hexagon of the edges and applique the panel to a neutral background.  Since the quilt will be machine quilted, the extra layer won't bother anything.
So that's all my hand stitching goodness for this week; drop by Kathy's weekly link up party to see what all the other Slow Sunday Stitchers are up to. 

9 comments:

  1. Your knitted Tanglewood set is beautiful, wow is all I can say on the 3 hours of handwork done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the TW piece - there's a reason I can only work on it for 10 hours, then I'm ready for something else LOL. I just acknowledge that it's going to be my pictorial slot for several years when I start one. The result is SO worth it! And other stitchers appreciate the amount of work one of these it.

      Scary thought. I have at least three other pieces by this designer in my stash, maybe more. I need to take an inventory of all the kitted stitching one of these days. I do know it's at SABLE, so I'm kind of scared to make a list!

      Delete
  2. Great knitting, you made a beautiful set. Well well The Millenium Cross Stitch pattern is awesome, and you are doing great progress, this is a complex pattern. You also make me remember I have some hexies inside the Ufo basket that are in need of some attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! It's so cold here that the woolies were actually worn to church this morning! And earlier this week, people were running around in shorts and sandals! I wish the weather would stop waffling around between winter and summer on alternate days. That's not SPRING!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful knitting! How can one subscribe to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on Blogger, right? If you go to your own page where you manage your posts, there's an option toward the bottom called "Reading List". When you click on that page, there's a button in the upper right that is called something like 'manage my list' when you hover over it. Click there, click "add" on the next page and copy the main URL of the blogger pages you want to follow. (thanks for asking, I'm flattered!)

      Delete
  4. My goodness you have been busy! Love the mittens and your hexagon flowers are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the compliments on the mittens. This was one of the projects that I had to be all hush-hush about for a while. (The hat to the set was the other.) If you follow me over to Ravelry, you can find the patterns for sale. (Sort of shameless plug - you all know I test knit it LOL.)

      Delete
  5. I bet the horse lessons were a hit- that would be such fun I think.
    Royal1688

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.