Sunday, May 13, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - May 13, 2018

I will admit, not a lot of crafting around here this week.   The yardwork is in full swing and yesterday was my grandson's birthday party.   I came home and totally collapsed afterwards.  

But I did (finally) finish the socks. 

And I made pretty good progress on Dutch Beauty.   I am well into the tulip motif at 3.5 hours.   BTW, I think the young stitcher of the original piece must have been Roman Catholic.   The little motif between the tulip and the columbine vase looks like a monstrance.   These are liturgical vessels used to display the Eucharistic Host for veneration.  

We actually do this in the Episcopal Church, too.  Mostly in High Church parishes on Maundy Thursday - the date of the original Last Supper on the night before the crucifixion.  But in my parish, we don't have a special vessel for it.   Instead there's just the ordinary ciborium, which is covered dish on a tall base (the easier to hold on to it) which holds the hosts before they are consecrated when the bread and wine is brought from the back of the church to the front by parishioners during the offertory.   (Thus endeth the lesson in fancy liturgical hardware and language LOL.)


The hexagon applique is just barely started.   Like the Grandmother Flower Garden sets for "Aunt Lottie's Garden", there really won't be anything to see until the end.   So no picture of that.

Bells play today, a couple of two choir pieces.   We generally do at least one week with both choirs at the end of each year.   It's a lot of fun and pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.  We luckily have two sets of bells, but both these pieces have one choir on bells and one on chimes.   It's a lovely effect.

Thanks for stopping by.  Next week there will be a new knitting project!!!   And swing by Kathy's to see what the rest of the SSS crew is up to.

4 comments:

  1. We have some yard work to do too, but it will have to wait for another day. Today, we are spending the day with my MIL for Mother's Day. I am blessed with a wonderful MIL. Hope you find some time for hand stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother's Day - we were all together for the birthday yesterday, so I told my son to focus on his wife today! So when I get back from church, I will totally be getting some stitching in. Enjoy the day and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. That's the problem with the good weather arriving, more gardening and grass cutting! I hope you get lots done today however, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once it stopped snowing, the yard exploded! Here in Kansas we catapulted from Winter to Summer inside of a month! Seriously - it was snowing here just four weeks ago today and it will get up to 90 degrees Farenheit (32 C) this afternoon. It's nuts. But the spring weather in Kansas is always dramatic in one way or the other.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.