Sunday, August 19, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - August 19, 2018

Good morning Sunday Stitchers.

Progress to report on all fronts this week.

First of all, Millennium is at four hours into the rotation of 10 hours.  The lower robes and under tunic on St. Michael are filling in nicely.  I have all of the main colors laid in, but that means the rest is all short runs of confetti stitching, which will slow me down somewhat.  Still it's all one stitch at a time, right?
On the lace shawl, I am starting Round 29.  Knit charts are always read from the bottom to the top, and I am SO close to the top of this chart I can taste it!   This round I will be putting in the new stitch markers.  Many shawls are shaped by increases as paired yarn overs without a corresponding decrease anywhere.  This one has them in the four corners of the square.   So as you work your way up the chart, it grows by 8 stitches every other round.  In garter stitch (which is the ground fabric for this shawl), that will give a 90 degree angle.  Eventually you get a repeat's worth of stitches between the last marker and the corner and can put in 8 more markers. 
BTW, the blue marker by my thumb indicates a corner that is not a start of the round.  The single orange marker is for that.  Any time I work 'in the round', the red or orange or yellow marker is for the start, the blue or green ones are for other important points.

And last, but not least, I got most of the applique done for the first corner of the honeybee block.  Finishing that off and prepping the next corner is my goal for this afternoon.
Linking up on Kathy's blog for this week's SSS roundup.

8 comments:

  1. Three lovely hand stitching projects....which one to work on first?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Quilt block so far this afternoon. A nice rainy relaxed sort of day. Perfect for stitching. Hope yours is doing as well.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing how everyone approaches their cross stitching projects so differently. It looks like you have made really good progress on yours. I also use the orange markers to mark the beginning of a round and the blue ones elsewhere! Your lace looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. It is interesting to see how everyone proceeds with similar projects. With pictorials, I tend to do one color at a time cross country for the length of that floss, then choose another color near the first and repeat. I probably should have gridded this, because I have had to frog once or twice. Unlike the top part of the angel figures, these lower robes and under tunic at least have a few larger blocks of color as well as the usual confetti stitching, which helps.

      Delete
  3. Three lovely projects you are working on. Enjoy your stitching! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three projects are wonderful. I like the idea of using a different colored marker when knitting...thanks for sharing the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think that tip originally came from either Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting without Tears" or Jackie Fee's "The Sweater Workshop". It's how I set up raglan sweaters as well as square shawls. Very useful hack, actually.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.