Tuesday, August 14, 2018

FINISHED QUILT: Mug Rug for Rav Swap

I mentioned a while back that I am in a swap for mug rugs - little mini quilts meant to be used as coasters 'with a place for a cookie on the side'.  

My swap partner is katyknitsnyc and she likes 'greens, batiks and grunge'.   Well, I have no grunge, but was able to find batiks in the LQS.  And I stalked her projects a bit (in a non-creeper fashion) and found that she likes pieced animals - at least her last quilt has featured them.

I found inspiration from a puzzle on my 'color by number' app


And so I embarked on a foundation pieced sea turtle.  I was able to find a free 6 inch block on sewhooked and extended it slightly to make a 7.5 x 9 inch block.

Machine quilted, rounded corners required bias binding, which I made continuous fashion (link is in my 'helpful links' page up top).


matches the inspiration pic pretty well!
And the whole thing

Front

Back

About the only thing I'm not happy with is the slight thicker place in the binding on the front.   It would have been less obtrusive and less bulky if it didn't hit right at the seam between the 'deep ocean' and the 'shallower water' colors.   I had to overlap the binding instead of mitering it.   I need to work on that more.    I was fairly pleased with the quilting, which I totally procrastinated on.   I'm a raw novice at machine quilting.   This is the first time I've done anything other than straight lines, stitch in the ditch fashion.  I tried to use a walking foot on it, with gentle waves ala "Walk" by Jacquie Gering.  I checked her book out from the library and it was surprisingly successful!  

I also included a fat quarter of the navy that I used on the back and one of my hand made greeting cards.  

(Note:  My blog is linked to my Ravelry profile, so I held this post until I knew the package was delivered today in order to surprise my giftee.)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it. It was fun to make and I learned a lot doing it. This was a very fun swap!

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.