Sunday, September 15, 2019

Slow Sunday Stitching - September 15, 2019

Slow Sunday Stitching crew:  I have to brag.  The arbor on Dutch Beauty is done!
I'm going to finish the deer before putting this project away.   That will be the 2/3 point.  People have asked me about the size of this piece.  It is huge.  The stitched area is 24 inches/61cm high by 37 inches/94 cm wide.  It's on a full yard of 54 inch (selvage to selvage) linen.  

Needless to say, it doesn't fit in any frame other than a quilting or rugmaking frame, so I am using 17 inch square q snaps.   Here's my set up.
My floor frame is "Just a Thought", the light is a Craftlite "Dublin" with the extra clamp on clip mount (it comes with the floor and tabletop base, but you have to buy the clip separately - available from the Silver Needle, btw).  The chart holder is an antique wooden music stand.  You can't really see it, but it has a little tray that's perfect for scissors, laying tool, etc.


And just to put the icing on the cake - I ALSO finished the last of the blocks for the center of "Aunt Lottie's Garden" quilt.
Now on to getting the four corner blocks marked and basted.


Linking up to Kathy's blog for SSS.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I had no idea of the scale of this piece... it is huge!
    What a great set up you have for your stitching... thanks for showing us!
    Love the music stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a monster, my late husband dubbed it "The tablecloth" LOL.

      Delete
  2. Love your stitching, and your hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a beautiful crossstitch piece. Where do you find linen that large? Since I have enough quilts for a life time I am turning to embroidery and possible cross stitch. Your set up is wonderful and must make your stitching so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The linen was a special order from Threadneedle Street in Washington state. They carry several specialty linens and will custom cut for you. This is Strathaven, which is an uneven weave linen - the stitches are a tiny bit "taller" than they are "wide", but that just adds to the antique look. Very appropriate for a reproduction sampler. (Though I wouldn't use it for a pictorial where you want perfect 'pixels' to bring out the design.)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing piece of cross stitch. Yay for the flower garden block; can't wait to see it all put together.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.