Monday, January 6, 2020

Quilt WiP - back to "It was the 80s"

One of my major goals for this year is to get "It was the 80s" done.  I haven't been putting time into my quilting.  Knitting and needlework happen in the living room in a comfy chair.  They are often (though not always) projects where 15 mins of work can happen without needing any set up or much prep.  I can leave a needlework project on a frame on the floor stand and the pattern on my antique music stand that I use for a chart holder and just sit down and stitch whenever I get a minute.  Knitting is even more portable yet.  Even on lace pieces, it's just a matter of finding my place on the chart and away we go.

Quilting, on the other hand, means hauling out a sewing machine, setting it up, getting out fabric, and iron and ironing board.....  I'm a dining room quilter and I can't really leave everything set up.  Well, I COULD, but the dining room table is the only place to eat in the house other than a TV tray in front of the tube (which I try not to do).  I'm trying to find a solution.  But in the mean time, I'm going to try hard to utilize the weekends. 

So this weekend, I spent some time organizing my projects.   And sorted and folded the fabrics that will be used on the back and sashings for "It was the 80s".   I also made a list of the steps needed to finish the top and back for the LAQ.  I have the funds saved up to pay her and once the top and backing are completed, I'll get on her waiting list.  Jean is pretty quick, and I just need an all over pattern, so it shouldn't be a long wait. 
So the next part is checkerboard sashings - 4 of them, three that are a single strip and one that is basically 4 patches set edge to edge.   I got all the parts cut on Saturday and the machine set up and pairs run through on Sunday afternoon.

The single row sets went quickly - these are the two that are 12 patches each.  The four patches (2 x 11) were fun, too.  I wanted to include as many of the mid blues as I could, so there are some 'patched patches' in this set.  The blue and cream stars from the salvaged sashings of the old quilt cut down nicely into two patch sets. 

Still have the one patch row that is 22 long (this one will go along the lower edge of the top).  So that will be next weekend's goal along with figuring out where and how to do a design wall.  I don't want to lay this out on the floor unless I have to.


EDIT:  last of the sashings

2 comments:

  1. sorry you don't have space to leave your sewing machine out - that was always a problem for me years ago and I got little done - I really started to get more done after the girls both moved out and we turned their old bedroom (2 bedroom house) into a sewing room/computer room. It means we do not have a guest room for those rare occasions we have someone overnight but it is something we use every day now. Have you looked in the SewEzi tables for your machine? they do not take up a lot of room and can be put in a corner of the living room or somewhere and stay set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to find one of the card tables that will take my Featherweight. If not, they do make a reproduction. And if I can get my treadle up and running, that would be an option as well. I just have to make the commitment to sit down and sew……

      There is a second bedroom in my house that I do use for crafts supplies storage (yarn, needlework kits and fabric) and it would certainly be possible to set up there, but it will need some renovations and a better storage solution and there are some electrical issues that will need to be addressed - that's the long term plan. I'm saving up to get the electrical taken care of and I need to get the boys over to remove the old bunk bed so I can repair the wallboard and paint.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.