Monday, November 30, 2020

Mending Monday: Alexis' ripple afghan

 Back in 2015 I made each of the grandkids a ripple afghan.  Alexis' recently fell afoul of their puppy.

 



If it had been a tear on the final edge, it would have just been a matter of pulling it back to the first intact row and securing the ends.  But Riley (puppy) ate the foundation chain.   So I had to pick out the first four rows stitch by stitch; I went back to the grey that was between the pink and peach.

That left the base 'post' of each intact stitch waving in the wind.  Can't leave it like that, of course; they are more stable than knit stitches, but they WILL pull out eventually.  I am only a casual crocheter, so I fudged a fix.  On each stitch, I hooked one leg of the post through the other, then did a single stitch with the working end and the post.  I put one chain stitch between each single at the top of the ripples and worked two together twice at the valley of the ripples.   

I think it looks pretty good.   My grandson once told his teacher, "Mimi can fix anything."  My reputation is intact LOL!

3 comments:

  1. that is nice that you can fix the afghan and had the right color to do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found one last tiny golf ball sized remnant in the 'leftovers' stash. I will admit that sometimes it is a good thing not to get rid of those odds and ends. I do use them in striped hats and scrappy afghans. Just lucky I hadn't grabbed that bit for another project.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.