Sunday, November 29, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching - November 29, 2020

 Hope everyone in the US had a very happy Thanksgiving weekend.  And everybody else just had a good weekend!  It was strange not to have the huge extended family around, but such is life in 2020.   It was just my son and daughter in law, their kids and her mom.  The same folks as were at my birthday party a few weeks ago. 

I made a mashed sweet potato casserole to take - the classic marshmallow topping with the addition of candied pecans and dried cranberries.  Saw this on pintrest and it was the first time I have made candied nuts from scratch.  I only put the extra toppings on one half of the pan just in case people wanted the original type.   But everybody tried the new topping and it was voted as 'good - do that again'.  I usually make the pumpkin pie, but this time, one of the kid's friends is selling pies as a fund raiser for band camp (hopefully for next summer) and we got those.  

There was some crafting this week, though I did spend time doing the usual 'deep clean' before starting on Christmas decorating.  So far, just the Advent wreath (today is the first Sunday in Advent) and the lighted wreath on the front of the house.  I am an Anglican / Episcopalian in Christian denomination and quite "High Church".  What Robin Williams used to call 'Catholic light' LOL.  I keep the run up to Christmas fairly tame, but celebrate for the entire "twelve days".  So I don't take the tree down until the seventh of January, but I also don't put it up until around December 20th.  Instead, I do a bit of other decor each week - outside the first week, along with the Advent Wreath.  Second week is garland on the mantle.  Third week is all the needlework (except ornaments on the tree) .. Fourth week is the tree (Unless Christmas Eve is Sunday or Monday - then I'll move it back to week three just to enjoy it a bit more.)

OK, enough nattering about Holidays and Christmas decorating!  Back to crafting content.

The socks have both cuffs done and the set up for the pattern on the legs.  This is a partial (a bit over half) repeat that transitions from the ribbing to the texture pattern on the legs.  This yarn is not showing the pattern off very well; that's always an issue with darker colors.   But so far it's an enjoyable knit.

Dutch Beauty is getting the needlework time.   About three hours into the ten saw the buds along this page's bottom border done, the vase completed and the lily stem started. 

The first set of lilies is on the docket for today after I check out the SSS crew (link to the current round up.)


7 comments:

  1. I hope everyone kept their Thanksgiving small - love your stitching - glad you saw your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who do not cross stitch have no idea how long it takes us to complete a project...this is looking lovely. Happy Thanksgiving weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the start of your socks and the Dutch Beauty is coming along nicely. Enjoy you first Sunday of Advent and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed your thanksgiving and were able to see your family, the food sounds yummy. Cross stitch does take ages I can look up and an hour has gone and I've only managed a tiny section, Dutch Beauty is very pretty and a great start on your socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stitching, and love the color of your socks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving despite the current situation. I am one who goes all out for Christmas. I find this time of year so inspiring. I will miss going to Advent mass, but I can watch it on TV. Hubby and I decorated the outside of our home with lights and a nativity today. My indoor decor will start coming out on December 1st with my Advent Calendar. Enjoy your knitting and cross-stitch. I am enjoying watching Dutch Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as if you will be enjoying Christmas decorating throughout the month of December. I love reading about how people decorate their homes. Gosh, the ribbing on those socks is very neat; lovely colour, too. Dutch Beauty is looking lovely. Such a pretty design.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.