Saturday, April 24, 2021

Rotation Changeover - 2021 Rotation #2, Slot 3 (pictorial) complete

 Wow, my #24HoursOfCrossStitch has been intense so far.   Ten hours of over one solid coverage on the USMC seal got me to a page finish on page 7, which is also the mid point on the letters band around the outside of the seal.  I went ahead and took out all the basting because my sister did the pattern in two halves and the grid is different, though I do at least have an overlap at the two "stars".

Where I started for comparison:

Getting through this slot so quickly brings me around to the empty "modern sampler or smalls" slot that remains for this rotation.  

Let's talk about smalls.  First of all, what's a "small" in needlework parlance?  They are those fun little bits and bobs that are sewing accessories.  Not necessarily needed, but so much fun to make and have.  Scissor fobs and cases, needlebooks, pincushions and drums, pin keeps and thimble holders, bags and baskets, tool rolls, necessiares and huswifs.  All sorts of things of that nature.  

I have made dozens over the years (most recently the Sampler Sweetbag and Fob).  But my favorite ones are the 'sets' where the designs work together.  I am fascinated by the antique caskets that have ornate sets with dozens of tools, all set into a velvet lined box.  I have two sets that I've been making pieces for for years.   Both of them have an unembellished retractable tape measure.  Unembellished no longer.  I'm going to stitch covers!

 


1 comment:

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.