Sunday, April 11, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching - April 11, 2021

Made it through another week!  Cold and rather rainy here in Kansas, but getting warmer every day!  I've been trying to take an actual lunch break every work day.   And getting a #LunchHourCrafting project going helps with that. 

So, the last main block of my Lucy Boston "Patchwork of the Crosses" table topper is underway.  All the pieces are cut.  Since this is English Paper Pieced, there's all the basting to do before I can start assembly.  I have about two thirds of the honeycombs basted. 

This is my work box for EPP, applique, and hand sewing the binding on quilts.  All of the gear needed for any of that in a little 4.5 x 7 inch box (11.5 x 17.5 cm).  It's a useful size for sticking into my purse for all types of on the go needlework.  Walt cut out one of the cross partitions so that I could put a pair of embroidery scissors or a set of short thread snips in it.  It was originally designed for floss bobbins, so the compartments are about an inch and half (4 cm) deep.  Plenty big for my pieces.  I love how they look all stacked up in a row!

Dutch Beauty was my other focus this week.   I did get all the area removed that had the mistake in it.  Then got the left side greenery, flower and parrot done. Plus the center greenery and a start on the second flower.  A bit less than five hours in, with the first hour plus spent on frogging.   I want to get to the end of this motif before I swap out projects, even if I have to go over ten hours to do so. 

I identify this flower as fritillaria meleagris, though it's not the typical 'checkerboard' flower.  But the color is right, the drooping flower is right, the skinny leaves that curve around the blossom are correct.  They are, of course, not big enough for a parrot to perch on, but artistic license, am I right?

Makes me wish I had planted some fall bulbs.  Next year.  

Linking up with the SSS crew (link to current round up)


10 comments:

  1. There is always next year to plant bulbs. =) Hope it warms up there in Kansas soon. Enough of that cold weather of yours. How organised all your EPP bits and pieces are in that box. Perfect for slipping into your bag and enjoying a little stitching wherever you are. Dutch Beauty is progressing beautifully. Whatever would we do without artistic license??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handy little project box! Great for some on the go stitching. Your parrot is defying gravity, but that’s ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have fun with your patchwork of the crosses. I made one too but I handpieced instead of EPP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with your workbox everything is so neat and tidy, I think your stitchery is just fine, there's still time to plant summer bulbs, I'm loving all the Spring bulbs I have in my garden. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "on the go" sewing box looks really handy! Great idea! Looking forward to seeing your Lucy Boston blocks as you start to put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Awesome idea for a project box. I'm sure I've got a couple of those
    hanging around. I'll have to see what I can do with them. Dutch Beauty
    is coming along nicely...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great EPP box for your goodies (I love storage btw!) your cross stitch piece is looking good, lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing your little box of EPP supplies all ready for some stitching time!
    Good job on powering past the mistake, which often sends a project to the UFO closet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are well organized with your little craft box, everything there and waiting for you to do some lunchtime stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I planted fall bulbs this past fall for the first time in forever! I called them my covid tulips. ☺️ Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.