Sunday, June 20, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching - June 20, 2021

 Didn't get quite as much crafting time in this week as I had hoped to.  Several appointments either ran long, were postponed or took more time to prepare for than I had expected.   Some days are just like that!

I did get to six hours on the Unicorn Pillow.

Got the rest of the blue wool/white cotton blend background in around the nose, which let me get the outlining done on that part of the unicorn's head.   I also got the blend put in along the back of the neck (there's more above the rose / ribbon cockade and above the horn).   There were a couple of bits of the upper neck that I hadn't done, so I got those finished in basketweave and tent stitch.  Plus I got (just barely started) on the mane.   I will admit that the mane is rather tedious; it is comprised of close outline stitch used as a filler, each 'lock' is three to five passes of outline stitch, first in grey, then in gradations of  light grey / beige / white.  It's pretty effective, though.  Worth the hassle. 

Linking up with SSS

17 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing that mane. Please include a closeup when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I will try to get a close up when the back mane is done (more 'forelock' over the horn done in the same technique). Because it is one strand of dark grey and two strands of the other colors, it's almost raised or padded looking.

      Delete
  2. This is quite amazing... yes more close ups in the future.... show off that hard work! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I'll try to get a close up next week. I'm liking it better the more I get done.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. thank you. She's turning out nice considering she's about 40 years old LOL.

      Delete
  4. Your unicorn is beautiful! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need close ups too! The details make the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty unicorn, well worth all the time and effort, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS just read your comment that the project is 40 years old! Where has she been hiding all this time, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was cleaning out my basement prior to getting my new furnace a couple of years ago, I found an old plastic tub in the back of the storage area that had several projects in it. I ran them through my "craft triage" (complete?, still interested?) and this one, the eagle and the blue cutwork runner made the cut. There were a couple of crewel projects and a couple of Creative Circle kits that did not. Those were trashed if the materials were missing/damaged or donated if it was all there and I just didn't want to do it any more.

      Delete
    2. ETA: from the age of these three projects, they were boxed up when my late husband and I moved from our college town of Manhattan KS to Topeka, where he had gotten a job with the KS Hiway Patrol. Usually troopers go to school in Salina for several months, but since he had military police experience, he went to the Police Academy in Topeka for a refresher and civilian procedure classes.

      For some reason, these got put into storage instead of unpacked. I don't remember why. It was like a time vault of my early marriage!

      Delete
  8. Wow. Your unicorn project is truly a beautiful work of art. Such skill! I love the tilt of her head and the expression in her eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crewel does give the stitcher an opportunity to personalize a piece, but the overall design is very much the work of the vintage kit designer. I do like the way her eye turned out, though.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.