Friday, July 23, 2021

AUDIOBOOKS (Non-Fiction): "I'd Rather Be Reading" by Anne Bogle (narrated by the author)

 I was introduced to this book in passing on a YouTube video that I landed on via a costuming link for "cottagecore" and now can't find again to link, or even remember the name of the channel.  You know how falling down the internet rabbit hole can get.  

I did enjoy this collection of twenty plus essays on reading, books, libraries, bookstores, bookshelves, book journals and (as the subtitle says) "the delights and dilemmas of the reading life" by the author of the website Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Several of the essays really resonated with me as my early childhood was spent in a house just around the corner (and later three blocks away) from a small rural Carnegie Library.  And once we moved to the city when I was 11, it was a huge thing when I was deemed old enough to ride my bike to the city library a bit over 10 blocks away.

It was a quick 2 and half hour listen and that brings me to my only criticism.  It is a problem not with the BOOK, but the editing of the audio.   The narration is by the author, who in the 'actual time' playback mode comes across as if she was a teenage girl - voice high pitched, rushed words, breathless pace.   It was so irritating that I stopped in the middle of the first chapter to slow the playback speed way down, which should have been done by the editor in post-production.   But I'm glad Hoopla has that option and it made the remainder of the book much more pleasant to listen too.  

Glad I did, it introduced me to the idea of a reading journal.  I have long kept a list of 'books to read', but I think I must start also logging 'what I have already finished reading' as well.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.