Monday, September 23, 2024

Save The Stitches (a "Vintage Hex" Quilt - like I need another quilt!)


 If you want to WiP down, do not, under any circumstances, let your friend talk you into going to a garage sale with her.   $2 US for a quart zip lock bag of hexigons in 1930s and 1940s fabrics.  The cut sides are approximately 1 inch/ 2.5 cm; there's a lot of variation in size, so I'm sure the fabrics are hand cut.  They should mostly go over 3/4 inch or 2 cm papers.   Some will have less than ideal margins, but I should be able to make do.


And a few uncut strips (about 8 in various lengths).   A couple are marked and ready to cut out. The strips, by the way, are SERIOUSLY starched.  I'm just glad silverfish didn't get into them as far as I can see.   Those buggers love to munch on starch and the fibers it is stiffening. 

You can tell the original owner intended to get back to this project.  Some of the hexis are grouped and tied with a knotted thread with a single solid yellow on top.  Probably already set up do some Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks.   But by far the most pieces are just loose.  I'm thinking a random set with a few blocks scattered in with white or cream 'paths' here and there.   I'm not yet setting this up as a quilt project.  I'm going to stash them in with the other 1930s Grandmother's Flower Garden project (Aunt Lottie's Garden) just in case I decide to expand that one or maybe do a double sided project.

I haven't counted them, though, or tried to figure out how much area they will cover.   English Paper Piecing makes an excellent travel project, so I think what I'm going to do is to mark the rest of the strips and make a bunch of papers.   Luckily, I have a Fiskers Hex punch of the right size and political flyers and mailers tend to be printed on nice card stock.   All the bull pucky can take a turn at being EPP papers before it goes into the recycling instead of heading there directly!

All of this begs the question of the OTHER EPP project that I have on the go LOL.  Lucy Boston needs finished!  I need to turn my attention to the quilts ASAP.

I did look for other crafting and quilting/sewing gear, but the person putting the sale on said several people had come through earlier and cleared out a lot of things, including a Featherweight Singer !!!

I keep hoping for a Singer card table (which is what I was actually looking for), but I'm glad I could Save the Stitches on what I'll be calling the "Vintage Hex" quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.