Sunday, July 14, 2019

Weekly check in - July 14, 2019

I'm still feeling a bit under the weather.  Since my cough is persistent, I went to the doc this week.  My asthma is usually really under control, but right now I start coughing and end up giving myself as asthma attack on top of the scratchy throat.   So we are trying an additional med for a while.  I hope I can get rid of it eventually since it makes me retain water and I feel a bit like the Staypuff Marshmallow Man in the original Ghostbuster's movie - UGH.

On the other hand, I have gotten some crafting done. 

The Victoria Sampler piece is at the half way point.   There are 16 bands and I have 8 of them done.
and I finished Block #24 of 30 for the center of the "Aunt Lottie's Garden" quilt.  Just two more of each color to go.

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Needlework WiP: "VS 4 Elements: Earth" Band 8 hemstitching

Once you have the linen prepared for drawn thread work, the fun step of the embellishment can start.  Often there is some type of hemstitching to secure the top and/or the bottom of the open area.  There can also be fancy interlacements done on the open threads or additional pulled work on either side. 


This design calls for a relatively simple four sided hem stitch, with an additional band of pulled four sided stitch (under only moderate tension to match the hemstitching) directly underneath and sharing the same holes in the fabric grid.  


The effect is quite nice - open and lacy.  This would make a nice border on a hand towel.  

Friday, July 12, 2019

Needlework WiP: "VS 4 Elements: Earth" Band 8 set up

This band is cutwork - drawn thread and then embellished hemstitching.   The finicky part of this type of stitch is the set up.   You have to draw out a section of thread and then lace in a replacement thread in the border of the area that you are going to do the hemstitching on.   If you do it right, it looks like the linen was woven with a void in the area you will be embellishing. 
I love doing this type of work and this linen (Cashel) is very nice for this.  The only tricky bit is that the threads in this linen are singles, so they can fray and occasionally will have slubs and thin places.   I've been known to remove a thread or two from the borders to get a replacement thread that doesn't have any issues, but this time, all four of the threads that were withdrawn and rewoven worked perfectly without any issues.   On to the hemstitching!

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Not much progress this week - July 7, 2019

Still trying to get over this lingering summer chest cold.   My energy levels are so low; I can barely make it through a work day.


So not much crafting (or anything else) to report.  I did get another block for Aunt Lottie's Garden finished.   This was 23 of 30 for the center of the quilt.
I have the next one prepped and basted.

Thursday, July 4, 2019

Yuck - summer cold

I don't know what it is about travel, but I seem to get sick every time I go somewhere.  Last week I finished the little wall quilt for the quilt guild challenge display, went to guild on Tuesday (picking up my rental car on the way).  The next morning, I got up crazier than usual early, drove four hours south to Tulsa, had a bunch of meetings, drove home.   Got up Thursday morning at the usual amount of crazy early, drove an hour to work, worked an extra long day to make up for being out of the office the day before. 


Friday, I woke up feeling a little "off", but went to work at the local office (I love Fridays).   By the end of the day, I was doing "ok but not great".  But by Saturday, I was running a fever, dripping nose, nasty cough, the works.   The next few days were a fever blur.   No crafting occurred.  No housework occurred.  I skipped church and called in sick on Monday .......


And it's a busy time of the month - Tuesday and Wednesday were brutal.   I am so glad for the holiday. 


Hey, on a better note.  Happy Canada Day last Monday to my northern readers, Happy Independence Day today to my friends in the states.  And Happy random Thursday to everybody else LOL. 


I am finally feeling better, though the cough is hanging on.

Thursday, June 27, 2019

FINISHED QUILT: Christmas Cabin Stars Wall Quilt


I finished the little wall quilt:


Size:  approx. 18 x 22 inches
Machine pieced and Machine quilted.  
Fabrics from a bundle purchased in the mid 1990s from Overbrook Quilt Factory.  (Would be called a layer cake in today's terms, though these were 12 inch squares.) Top was found in a tub of 'to be quilted' items and it fit the challenge perfectly - stars made with only squares, rectangles, half or quarter square triangles.


As seen hanging in our guild challenge exhibit.   It's actually square, the photo was taken at an angle due to the way the quilts were hung





Sunday, June 23, 2019

Weekly update - June 23, 2019

Some crafting this week, including another block for Aunt Lottie's Garden


This is block #22 and I already have #23 basted to work on this week.   And I got two more bands on the VS Sampler "Earth" piece early in the week.  (See last two posts.)


My main focus, though, has been getting my little challenge quilt done.   It's an older UFO that just happened to meet the challenge criteria, so I'm motivated to get it finished.
It's about 18 x 22 (fat quarter sized) and I'm calling it "Christmas Cabin Stars"   I have the machine quilting done - very simple, just outlining the blocks.   And I'm in the process of binding it with a mottled green (also used as the backing).   


I have all the binding yardage made and the first side attached.  I'm not even bothering to do mitered corners.  I often use fold over square corners for mini quilts and table toppers.  They are quick and since the quilts won't be used, the fact that those types of corners aren't as sturdy and stable as continuous binding doesn't matter.