Friday, December 15, 2017

Quilt WiP: "On Ringo Lake" - Clue 4

This week's clue for "On Ringo Lake" is a unit I have not done before.   It's the pieced half of a 'Shaded 4 Patch" block, but without the solid large triangle.   We need a bunch of them, in chocolate brown and aqua.

I'm doing these with traditional piecing, no fancy rulers or oversized blocks to trim down.  Because our measurements are not squares and rectangles, and the units have bias along the long edge, they are rather finicky to make.

My piecing is getting more precise with this each clue in this quilt.   And I'm doing a lot more pressing, sizing (love the Best Press, need more....) and trimming to get everything as perfect as possible.

While I love my Sister's Choice, I see a lot of places where corners and intersections could have used more precision.  But I think as long as I am improving, as long as each quilt is more technically sound, that is all that matters.   And there's a place in my house for 'utility quilts' that are made to be used until they are used up.

So, the first ten units for this clue:

Shaded 4 Patch units
Bonnie's Monday Link Up for Clue #4

#quiltvillemystery
#onringolakequilt

8 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I do Sew A Longs is not simply because I like the quilt or the designer. I find it is THE most effective learning tool for me. To have access to a professional, and many thousands of quilters and their vast knowledge is invaluable to me. As many questions as I may have, I never feel like I am taking away from anyone else's precious time because we are limited to a certain number of hours in studio, and there are so many other students. Thank you to Bonnie and all the participants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. That's why I've been labeling this project as a "class". It really is; just a virtual class!

      Delete
  2. I'm using the traditional piecing method for my units as well! These units look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree too. This will be my third mystery and I've learnt so much each time. And I see Bonnie's done a little quickie check for clue 4. I'm just finishing gifts and playing with my mystery fabrics which are a different colour scheme - but I'm learning with regard to those choices too. Love seeing everyone's efforts. Thank you - your blue fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. It's one of my two favorites out of the fabric pull for this quilt. I actually wanted more than just a quarter yard, but I got the tail end of the bolt (sad face).

      Delete
  4. I was a complete newbie when I joined my first Bonnie mystery, Celtic Solstice. It was so wonky, and with some misplaced units but yet the colors were so bright that one of my cousins asked to keep it for herself. I have since found out that following along Bonnie's patterns has made me improve my skills an accuracy better than any lesson I could take in a LQS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning so much with the lessons in cutting, piecing, trimming and color choices. I may be behind, but I'm learning!

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.