Friday, December 8, 2017

Quilt WiP: "On Ringo Lake" - Clue 3

Friday means it's a Ringo Lake day.

This week our task is Chevron units.  Again in Corals and Neutrals.  Even more of them than the Flying Geese from last week!   I'm only half way done with those.   So much for keeping up LOL.  Plus crafting time will be short on the ground for the next couple of weeks.

I have two potlucks in the next four days that I need to make a dish for plus I need to bake a pie for the company party, so this weekend won't be a relaxing 'craft all day' type of weekend at all.  Next week I'll be in the out of town office four of five days, so I loose two hours of either sleep or crafting to the commute each of those days.   I'm a bit grumpy about that, but with auditors and vice presidents of the company, you show up when they want you, not the other way around.  I have BOTH next week!!!! (Though not on the same day, thank heavens.)  I should get a couple of lunches out of it all, though, LOL. 

Then BOOM, we are one week from Christmas!  Bells play on both the 17th and 24th, so I can't even skip church LOL (not that I would.)   There is some shopping still needed (I'm usually done before Thanksgiving, not sure what happened this year!)

I will obviously not be able to catch up.  New plan!  Do at least a quarter of the units each week and leave the rest for after the mystery ends.  I still have to get that binding on the Scrappy Sister's Choice before the end of the month for it to count in the UFO challenge.  And I want to show it off at January guild.

Onward!   I'm actually OK with this quilt taking longer than the published mystery clues.   Scrappy Sister's Choice took me several months and I'm being a LOT more precise with my piecing on this one.  My grandmother and great-aunt did about four quilts a year, though those were all hand quilted.   I think that when I stress over how long something is taking, I can stress all of the joy in the doing right out of the project. 

Right, enough crafting philosophy.      Chevron Units.      Bonnie again gives us three techniques for the 'diamond in a rectangle' chevron units.

I'd doing kind of a hybrid.   Cutting mirrored pairs as her 'Bonnie method' instructs,


but cutting the corners using the Folded Corner Ruler method.  
Notice that the very bright ugly orange is a nice coral when you use the back side of the fabric as the front. When I got the unit to the right together, there isn't enough contrast, so I won't be cutting any more of that fabric.   I've ended up pulling several of my lighter blues and corals.  Perfectly nice fabrics, but not for this quilt.
And, I think I've got it!   Pressed per the instructions, which is honestly, the hardest part!   Away we go on getting a bunch of these done.


Joined up to Bonnie's Week 3 Link Party

#quiltvillemystery
#onringolakequilt

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.