Saturday, February 10, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 7

Pat uses half square triangles to make a 'Tidy Rows' block that has a strong diagonal line.   I have plenty of half square triangles, but I ALSO have a couple of diagonal string blocks that I'd like to use.   Taking them apart and adding a stripe of the darker blues will give me that same strong diagonal.



LOL at the paper that is still on the back of one of the blocks (which was fished out of the 'scrap' box, but the fabrics match the one from the original quilt that's on top).

Can you remember this kind of 'green bar' computer printer paper?  My first job with computers was making punch cards to run on a huge mainframe that took up the entire basement of the science building on campus. I have lugged around and burned through hundreds, if not thousands, of boxes of this kind of main frame printer paper!  Man, I am dating myself.  Do they even make it any more?  One good thing about this paper - it was big enough to draft 12.5 inch square (12 inch finished) blocks on.

I'm taking an idea of Bonnie Hunter's and putting the two areas of contrasting paper piecing perpendicular to each other.  This gives the block a little more interest; and uses up a bunch of the smaller blue scraps.  I "crumb" pieced rather than using same sized strips like the original part of the block since my blue scraps are mostly small irregular pieces.  Plus the 'Tidy Rows' block in Pat's layout has a lot of movement with all the half square triangles and I wanted some of that in my block.

And here's the block with some strong blues pieced into the diagonal.  I'll save the other diagonal string block on the computer paper foundation to put into the backing with the rest of the blocks I don't use on the front.


Sub for Solstice Block #7


I LOVE string piecing.  I want to do more.  I have Bonnie Hunter's book, "String Fling" and I really want to do a quilt or two from it.

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL I was just over on your blog, giving your birds a look see. We have a sort of mutual admiration society going on!! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.