Friday, February 2, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 6

In Pat's quilt, the block called "Crosswalk" has a large, off-center unit that showcased a unique fabric with the Eiffel Tower on it.   None of my fabrics have that type of strong vertical element or interesting print, so I'm taking the opportunity to substitute a block from the original 80s quilt.

I wanted a block that still had some movement and strong horizontal and vertical lines, so I choose the block with a 'pinwheel' layout of 4 bar "Rail Fence" units in some of the strongest colors.  Hopefully the stronger colors, different layout and more bars will differentiate it sufficiently from the simpler two color, two bar "Rail Fence" in Block 4.




   The only issue with this block is that it is one of the ones where my seam allowance was over-sized, so the block is a half inch smaller than it should be.  As you can see, it measures 12 inches (unfinished) instead of 12.5 inches.   Because Pat's layout has random sashing in multiple widths, I am safe in simply putting a narrow neutral sashing around the block and  sizing THAT to the correct size.   Using the neutral will 'float' the block.   I reserve the right to change up the sashing if "floating" looks funky in the final layout.

I trimmed the block down a bit more to 11.75 inches square (11.25 finished), using the center seams to get a nice square start, then added sashing strips.   That gave me plenty to square the block.  It will be a narrow reveal in the finished quilt, and it's not as square as a new block would be; I've hopefully gotten better with my piecing over the last 30 years LOL. But I think it looks OK.  After all, one of the purposes of reworking this quilt is to keep the history of the piece, which includes my less than stellar beginning piecing!

Sub for Solstice Block #6


The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.