Sunday, February 11, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - February 11, 2018

Ever have one of those weeks where you were scattered all over the place working on bunches of things and didn't make much progress on anything?   That was me this week.  After all the finishes last week, it was starts, restarts, "nah, I don't want to work on that, let's work on THIS, maybe not...."  Lather, rinse and repeat.

I finally settled on getting started on the applique on Aunt Lottie's Garden.  I sorted through the blocks, picked out the four purple corner blocks that will just need basted when I start on the borders.   Stacked all the other blocks up alternating the colors.  The first couple to be appliqued are green blocks.   The green ones have twelve blocks that need full applique - the pink has ten and purple just has eight blocks for the center of the quilt.  I have two of each color already done.

Doing the marking is quick.  I'm doing needle-turn applique on the vintage ones.  Most of the fabrics are light enough that I can just use a mechanical pencil.   I made a marking template out of one of my EPP papers by gluing it down to some template/stencil plastic and cutting it out with my metal straight edge and an exacto knife.  

Next I'll baste the flower garden set down onto the background fabric and away we go.   These are probably the easiest applique ever.  No curves, the straight lines are short and the points are less than 90 degrees.  

I did not get back to the socks on the knitting front.   I haven't mentioned it lately, but I do some test knitting and technical editing for a couple of knitting designers.   One of those requests came in this week, so I'm working on her project.   It's an honor to be asked to help bring a design to the marketplace, and there's usually a small remuneration of some type, but you un-knit, revise, re-knit a lot and I never talk about the actual design until it's published.  So my current knitting is on the 'down low'.  SHHHHHH

Counted thread embroidery wise, I waffled.   I got out the third project from Silver Needle Camp, decided I didn't want to work on it, put it away.   I have two big WiPs going on the needlework front.  Dutch Beauty is up next in the rotation.  I'll put the Silver Needle Camp piece into the rotation as the 'modern' piece.

I have used a rotation with my embroidery ever since I was a kid.  I usually have three pieces going at any one time - historic/vintage, pictorial, modern  and then a slot for 'finish or frame'.  Dutch Beauty is obviously the historic one right now.   Click the link above to see a 'whole thing' picture.  My late husband laughingly called it "the tablecloth" because it's a full yard of linen.   It's so big that the only roller frame that it would fit in is my quilting frame!  So I use a Q snap frame.

Working on the right side of page J/10
 
As far as the project that I meant to work on this week?  The binding on the Scrappy Sister's Choice? At least I got it made.........

::headdesk::  Getting it applied really needs to happen this week.
Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching (link to this week's round up) has an Olympic competition.  "Slowest Stitcher".  Dutch Beauty is my entry - started 1/2/2000!
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...such wonderful projects! I like the idea of having a rotation for projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My needlework projects tend to the large and/or complex. The quick finishes the last couple of weeks in that category are the exception, not the norm! I've always had at least a couple of embroidery projects 'on the go' all along. But I've settled on three ten hour slots (plus a finish/frame slot) as the best combination of getting a finish often enough to motivate and still work on the larger projects enough to show some progress.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Rotation for projects is a great idea. I like hexies too as it is more sociable than the machine. Love those fabrics, definitely ones I would choose too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the fun fabrics in this flower set. The green and purple centered ones are from my Great-Aunt Charlotte "Lottie" via my late mother's estate. I found two dozen finished sets in a cedar chest when we were cleaning out her house. Aunt Lottie was a 'maiden lady' and I'm pretty sure Mom inherited her estate as her namesake and favorite niece.

      I can remember Aunt Lottie's house - there was always a quilting frame set up in the front 'parlor'. So I'm honored to finish this project for her.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.