Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Quilt WiP: "Aunt Lottie's Garden" - Block 1 to 6

Now that the English Paper Piecing for the additional Grandmother's Flower Garden block sets is complete, it's time to turn attention to the applique of the blocks.

I am using Missouri Star Quilt Company's tutorial "What to do with Vintage Blocks".   The demo uses raw edge applique with a machine buttonhole stitch to attach rescued GFG sets to a square of background fabric, but I'm hand appliqueing mine.   It's more period appropriate.

Prior to starting to blog about this project, I had already finished 6 blocks.



I'm using a layer cake of 10 inch squares of "Soft White" Cotton Couture from Michael Miller Fabrics (Missouri Star exclusive) as the background and have yardage of the same for the borders.

As far as applique technique, I've tried a couple of different things.   On the new (pink) sets, I can iron the edges firmly before I take out the papers and it gives a nice crisp turn line that stays in place, especially if I use a little Best Press on a final iron after the papers are removed.   On the vintage sets, I tried freezer paper on top, but the best techniques ended up being to trace the turn line on each of the outermost edges and doing needleturn applique.

I tried sticking the prepared hexi sets down with glue basting, but the shape is large enough that the background fabric tends sag.  So I'm hand basting about a half inch in from the sewing line.   That works no matter which edge prep I use.

ETA:  I just noticed that when I was taking the photo, I paid no attention to whether the blocks were 'point up' or 'flat up'.  Don't worry; when I lay out the quilt, I'll be more intentional.

Linked up with Jo's Country Junction "UFO Challenge"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.