Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 8

The first of the oversized blocks.   This one is 18.5 inches square (18 x 18 inches finished) and is a framed 'triple heart' applique block.  While it looked great in Pat's original quilt in her pinks and reds, in my blues, not so much.   Just a bit TOO 80s country.  I would expect it to be followed by a duck or goose with a wreath around its neck.

As it happens, I have another applique block I would like to use.   This Dresden Plate.

 
It has most of the original darker fabrics in it and will make a nice statement.   Pat's design has the applique floating over the frame, which I can't do without taking the block apart.  But I think a slightly narrower frame will work as long as my block ends up the correct size. 

Sub for Solstice Block #8


My 'frame' ended up quite bit more delicate looking than Pat's.  I tried to scale it down to account for the overlap and I think I over-did it slightly.   I probably should have done 2 inches cut, 1.5 finished instead of 1.5 cut, 1.0 finished.   (Pat's was 2.5 cut 2.0 finished.)

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.