Friday, April 6, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block 15

There are several blocks in the new layout that I'm a little unsure about.   This is one of them.   It's one of the larger blocks at 20 x 20 inches finished.   It's a huge pinwheel meant to showcase a 'favorite' fabric.  


The problem is that it's going to be an expansion and re-work of this block from the old quilt.


Oh, yuck, that rose solid.   I don't have any more of that blue, but one of the new blues  will hopefully work with it.   I have tons of the rose, but don't really want to use it for the expansion as I am trying to minimize that color in this quilt top.  I keep telling myself that if I hate it in the final layout, I can always take it all apart and re-make it with the soft rose.  And the neutral border will tone it down some, too.  I hope.
It's going to also be rather nerve wracking to cut this down from 12.5 to 10.5 inches square.  I have one shot. 
Later: 
Block 15
Not too shabby.  But there were a couple of challenges. I ended up having to take the pinwheel apart back to the four quadrants to avoid having to do a set in seam, but that also let me trim everything up a LOT more accurately.  I also discovered that my new purchase of neutral, though the same print, is quite a bit more ecru than my original purchase.  It wasn't noticible in the store; I was more concerned about matching the print.  But once I got it under the daylight bulb in my sewing area, it was obvious.  I ended up having to re-do the half square triangles in the new neutral so that the cream was all the same in the block.   I'll just have to watch that as I go along.

The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.