Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Needlework WiPs: The Silver Needle Camp Projects

Last week was Silver Needle Camp.   This was my third time at the fall camp.   I know the directions and feel comfortable on the drive now, and I had a great table of people to stitch with.

The weather was so-so.   As is often the case in mid October, there was a mix of weather.  I was chased all the way south from Topeka to the OK state line by thunderstorms closing in behind me.  Lots of lightning in the rear view mirror.   It was starting to rain hard and it was about 10 pm on Wednesday night when I got to Independence KS, so I stopped for the night.  My co-worker, Kelley, is from around there and recommended a nice hotel, The Appletree.  I got a room with minimal hassle despite it being late and having no reservation.    Their breakfast bar was good, too; I got back on the road by 9 am. 
Thursday was glorious weather, crisp and blue skies with bright puffy white clouds.

Got into Tulsa and met up with Beth at a great restaurant near the Silver Needle shop called "The Silver Skillet".   I highly recommend the Chicken Avocado sandwich - but come hungry because it is HUGE!!!   Beth had to go back to work, and I got some shopping in at the Silver Needle.  I bought a new pair of cutwork scissors from the German company Dovo.   Very skinny points on those, which should be just the thing.  I can't wait to try them on the next Victoria Sampler Four Elements project.

The accommodations at camp are two to four person rooms.   I was in with three other 'solo' campers.  If you come in a group, you can room together.  
the "Bunkhouse" and the pool
The food was wonderful as always.   Breakfast and lunch in the cool retro restaurant onsite.  One dinner of pizza from a local (non-chain) pizza place plus Lindy's huge salad bar, other dinner is at an Amish farm.  Miz Rachael does a wonderful family style dinner for us.   The little daughter of the house who was just a toddler the first year I was there is now about five or six and solemnly handed out rolls from a basket.  So darling.   Alexis is about the same age and I can totally see her helping like that.   (I don't take pictures at the farm, it would be rude.)
retro dining, yummy food
We got three charts and four projects for camp.  
Pincushion in a Sudberry House base. 
Chart is "Kiss A Bit"  by Hands on Design/Just Another Button Co.
On hand dyed charcoal Aida
Two projects from Heartstring Samplery from the chart "Festive Little Fobs: Beekeeper Edition".  One (bottom) to finish as a fob, the other (top) as a tray.
On 28 count "Homespun" linen over two with Gentle Arts Sampler floss.
And last but largest, "Hocus Pocus Halloween" by Heart in Hand.  The original on this is tiny - 32 count over two.  Blown up to 9 stitches per inch (18 count Rustic Linen over two) and done in perles and ribbon floss, it's still darling.  It will be finished as an oversized ornament for a holiday display or to center in a wreath. 
Great weekend, then it rained on me all the way home LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.