Sunday, December 8, 2019

Zombie Project into Needlework Rotation: Tissue Box Cover

Here's another "Zombie" project found in the basement.  I was supposed to be working on the Hexipuff Cushion this week, but found myself digging this out instead.  The leaflet is dated 1991 and some of the materials were purchased at our local Ben Franklin store (which closed in 1995 or 1996), so it was started somewhere in there.

The leaflet has patterns for a half dozen tissue box covers, each featuring a native North American songbird:  Oriole, Grosbeak, Jay, Cardinal, Meadowlark, Robin.   The last four are native to Kansas where I live or are common migratory visitors, so rather than make a boring box with just one bird, I am doing a different local bird on each side.  Interesting, this will also make something of a 'four seasons' display.  

Here are the finished sections:

Meadowlark (fall) and Cardinal (winter) plus the top.

Plastic Canvas is not my favorite needlepoint technique.  The yarns are acrylic and frequently snag on the base 'fabric', which tends to have sharp bits no matter how careful you were when you cut it out of the sheet.  However, I'm not sure why I stopped working on this one.  All the materials and the leaflet were packaged together in a ziplock bag; now all transferred to one of the clean ice cream tubs that I often use for project storage.

Since it was carefully stored, I assume I did intend to come back to this project.  Well, it's on the radar now, so it will get finished so I can use it on my desk at work.   I was short a few colors.  The yarns are Needloft Acrylic Craft Yarns and are still being made (no affiliation other than as a customer - good customer service and fast, too), though some of the color names are different than the pattern, which doesn't give an suggested thread or color number.   I made a cheat sheet with the pattern color name vs the manufacturer color name so I can keep them straight.

I have already started the third side, the North American Robin (spring).  See the Slow Sunday Stitching report in the next post for my progress this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.