Monday, September 21, 2020

AUDIOBOOKS (fiction) - The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (various narrators)

 For the next little bit, I am revisiting a childhood favorite.  This is actually the third set of the Chronicles of Narnia that I have owned or at least had access to.   There was a set of the individual Macmillian books from the original US publication back in the 1950s that were in my dad's library.   They were gifted to my cousin, I think, along with the theology books.  I read them first though, before we moved to Topeka in 1966.  Then in 1970 or 71. my dad gave me a box set of the Haper Collins paperbacks.   Those lasted me through college and summer camps and were eventually read to shreds by my son in the 1990s.  Then in 2005, I sprung for the hardback box set as a gift to myself.

I am currently listening to the series by Harper Collins audio.   (Available on Hoopla.)  I'm really enjoying the read through again.  Like tea with an old friend. 

The theology is much more apparent to me as an adult, but it only adds depth to the book and does not detract from the adventure at all.  The sign of a classic.

Side note, if you are reading them for the first time, ignore the chronological numbered order above. Better in the publication order:

  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
  • Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
  • The Silver Chair (1953)
  • The Horse and His Boy (1954)
  • The Magician's Nephew (1955)
  • The Last Battle (1956)

 "Magician's Nephew" is a prequel, and really informs "Last Battle" more than any of the other books and "The LW&W" should be read first as you really want to solve the mystery of Aslan along with the children. "Horse and his Boy" happens during the last bit of "The LW&W" off camera, so it can be read there if you insist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.