Sunday, October 17, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching - October 17, 2021

Fairly calm week and my back is getting better by the day with just rest and OTC meds (thank goodness - it's never fun to move like an old lady.  My son says, "But Mom, you ARE an old lady!"  To which I stick out my tongue and retort, "Not THAT old!!!")  

So progress on everything:

Lucy Boston "Patchwork of the Crosses" got the fourth connecting block.   I am chugging along on these, but at the rate of one a week, there will only be the increasing stack to show progress until almost the end of the year. (I will need twelve of them to assemble the inner nine full blocks and four alternate blocks.)  But I'm OK with that; progress is progress.

The USMC Seal is at five hours and I got well into the next area of the lettering.   This is 28 count one over one, full cross.   At just a bit over 100 stitches per hour, and around 25 stitches across the over one area, four rows an hour is slow going.   But it's impressive when it's done.   I always thought I was a slow stitcher, but my rate seems to be about average if Google is to be believed.

And Bob's Christmas Stocking is past the upper colorwork section.  Next comes a large section of plain cream that will be embellished with a Swiss Darning/Duplicate Stitch chart of leaping reindeer.   Kimi's Stocking has standing reindeer, but the new stocking is 'going with' Kimi's Stocking, not duplicating it.

Nice thing about getting to a plain part is that I can read or watch TV/YouTube, etc while knitting this bit.

And yesterday I set up a WIIPGO/Modern slot project to work on today (after I check out the Slow Sunday Stitchers - Link to current round up).   It will be a box topper for a pretty tin, but right now it's just a tiny piece of linen on my smallest scroll rods.  

OK, I'll confess.  I took a picture.  Linen is 40 count "Heritage" by Picture This Plus.  It uses a mix of overdyed cottons - Gentle Arts (Sampler and Shaker), Classic Colorworks, and Weeks Dye Works.  I bought the kit at the Silver Needle last time I was in Tulsa (pre-pandemic).  Design is "Sweetheart Sewing Tin" by Gloria Moore for Milady's Needle.   My WIPGO goal is to set it up (done) and get at least the border finished. 



5 comments:

  1. Counted cross stitch definitely falls into the slow stitching category! I like the Littleton cover you are adding to the mix. Someday, I will learn to do colourwork, but for now, I will just admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranded colorwork isn't hard. I was lucky, I learned continental style knitting (yarn in left hand) from my German Grandmother, and English (yarn in right hand) from my mom. So when I do stranded colorwork, I can carry one color in each hand. That works great - just keep the background color in the same hand all the way through the project as the tension between the two hands will be just a bit different.

      Delete
  2. Your son makes me smile. A lot of love has gone into the USMC Seal cross stitch. It is stunning. Love Bob's stocking. Such a sweet fair isle pattern. I am glad your back is getting better, albeit slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a snarky (former, never ex) Marine - it comes with the territory LOL.

      Delete
  3. "Old Lady" indeed, I've had that comment too! Mind you, a painful back certainly makes us feel like an old lady. Wishing you well on your recovery.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.