Sunday, March 26, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching - March 26, 2023

Progress is being made on both the needlework projects.   I got 406 stitches in on the Sugar Skull on Friday.  Teeth are all done, but I'm still working the 'bone' color on the lower jaw, so no picture.   It's in the 'tedious but necessary' class of stitching.   The main rotation project is also in that category.   Lots and lots (and lots) of brown double running in straight lines this week, but hey, it looks like a fountain now!  I love that third dolphin just peeking over the edge of the center foreground in the fountain LOL.  He's so cute!

Seven and a half hours in, so change over soon!

After all the drab colors in both of those projects, I was needing some color!   Plus the sweater is going to be moving out of the 'portable enough to be a travel project' stage soon, so I pulled out an ornament from the stash to use as the current travel project.  I have 15 (😲) of the Willmaur "Heirloom Santa" kits from the 1990s in the stash.   They are on perforated paper with no beads, so unlike a Mill Hill kit, they are good for travel projects.   (ETA, there were a couple of duplicates which have since been donated, really only 13)

I won't do a beaded item as a travel or work desk project because of the probable (almost guaranteed) spillage.   Even using a bead nabber with the sticky surface inside a jewel case, there's just too high a chance that things will go everywhere.   I'm willing to risk it in my own car or house, but not where someone else would be inconvenienced with the clean up!

This is the Canine Santa; it's one of a set of four with cats, horse and wildlife as the other ones in the series.   I have the other three kits as well.   Some of these patterns were 'one off' and some were in sets, but they are all sort of rustic and will look good together on a holiday display of some type.  

I also thought you might want to see my set up when the travel project is needlework.  The case is one of those ubiquitous folios that you get at professional conferences.   This one happens to have the logo of  my old employer, so not appropriate to use at work!   If I'm not working on perforated paper, there would be a medium hoop or small qsnap holding the fabric, which is small enough for the folio to just zipper around and the whole thing slips into my day bag.

A side note.  I always use Floss Away bags for my needlework   I've tried both floss drops and the LoRan and Dimensions thread sorters.   I found I dislike any system that has the thread dangling; once they are in use, I'm always combing them out to try to keep the ends in some sort of order and I think the baggies protect the floss from abrasion to some extent.   

Linking up with the SSS crew (current round up here).

3 comments:

  1. Your travel project is a great idea. Slow and steady on your projects and you are making good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great set up for your travel projects, keeping everything nicely contained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lik your travel set up. That fountain is interesting. I look forward to seeing it when it next rotates in.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.