Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Needlework Rotation: Progress on Dutch Beauty and a New Modern Sampler

Dutch Beauty at the start of this round:

And at the end of this round it is here:


I finished off the border on Page N/14, did the right hand tulip motif and the small bits on each side of the top of that section on Page M/13, finished off the grass and flowers along the base line on Page L/12, got the base of the rose bowl motif done, AND finished off the 'grass' on page K/11.   It was bothering me that the base of the 'grass' was all half crosses and that I didn't have a confirmed count on the center.  Luckily, all was well.  That rose bowl is a huge motif that spans the left side of Page M/13 and the right half of L/12.   It will probably take at least one full rotation to complete; so that will be the focus next time this comes up.

And now for something new.  With the finish on the last of the Silver Needle Camp projects from the fall of 2017, I am out of UFO bin projects in the 'modern' category!!   When I go to camp this fall, the projects that I don't finish while I am there will re-populate the bin, but hopefully not for long.

When I re-boot the rotation each time, I decide what order I want to work the projects in.   So don't worry, Millennium will be coming around again.  It's just that it and Dutch Beauty are both all cross stitch and the last four modern projects have been, too.    I've been feeling a nagging itch to stitch something with specialty stitches and maybe some cutwork.

So out of the projects that I pulled from the stash recently as potential projects for the modern slot, I've picked a Victoria Sampler project. There is a series of four "Elements" designs from VS that were originally published back in the late 1990s. I did the first of them ("Water") as a online class with Thea, the designer. The only problem is that the fabric from the kit for that class is a different dyelot than the same fabric for the other three that I purchased locally. So I may re-do it. I have leftover floss and perle cotton and bought a second bead/specialty floss packet; so that is kitted up. I have the second design in the series (Fire) and fourth (Earth) kitted up in the stash, too, and the third one (Air) I have the chart/fabric and some possible floss colors. (I'm going to be changing colors on that one from baby blue/pink to yellows.)   "Fire" is up next.  For a long time this chart was out of print, but it has been re-released (link is to VS website).  

The basic format of all four of these small samplers is a band of hardanger as the focal at the top, then several bands of specialty stitches, drawn thread work, beading and bling, and ending off with a band of bargello at the bottom.  They aren't very large - about 8 inches long and maybe three and a half inches wide on 28 count.  I'm using Cashel Linen for the ground fabric.

lots of 'bling'


I still need to get the linen set up on the frame for the first one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.