Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Needlework WiP: "VS 4 Elements: Earth" Band 15 - a design change

These little samplers are very well designed.   There's a nice mix of open work of various types (Hardanger both traditional and modern, drawn thread, pulled thread, eyelets) and surface stitches.   There's a little bit of goldwork in Krenick threads so it is not as expensive as real metallic threads would be.  There's beading and bargello and it's all very fun.

But one I thing I noticed right away was that only one of the samplers ("Fire") had semi-precious beads.  There are three little red jade hearts on that one.   I love, LOVE using semi-precious beads.   It reminds me of the over the top needlework from the Elizabethan period.  So I added some fresh water pearls into the arches at the bottom of the bargello area in "Water".   

For this one, I knew I also wanted to add something.  I've been scouring the internet for ideas and trying to source materials.   First, I thought about putting a largish green leaf in jade or agate into Band 11 in place of one of the metallic 'trees', but those eyelets are pretty nice and the way they nestle into the whitework tree/leaf shape above meant that the embellishment would have to be PRECISELY the right size.   Tough to find.

So I moved on to this band.   This is a simple(ish) band of six lazy daisy leaves in one of the overdyed Wildflowers threads.   My plan is to replace one of the daisy leaves with a four leaf clover made of malachite beads.   My order from Fire Mountain shipped yesterday, so hopefully this project won't be on hold for very long.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.