Saturday, November 20, 2021

Rotation Changeover - 2021 Rotation #4, Slot 3 (modern but kind of historic) complete

 

I spent a little time spread out over the week and weekend doing the finishing on this smalls project.   This coincidentally finishes off WIPGO (both slots) for November and Slot #3 of 2021 Rotation #4.   It took me longer than I thought it would as there were several steps of the finishing that were of the 'do this, then wait for it to dry' sort of thing as the interior of the box is lined with scrapbook paper and then decoupaged.   It's an interesting technique that I had used on wooden pieces back when I was in high school and college.  Mod Podge glue was a thing in the 1970s and 80s!  And it's still being made; the jar even looks almost the same.  I used the matte finish for this project as the paper lining is already slightly distressed looking and a shiny finish would look odd.


 Technically this project is one that should be an "historic inspired" set of smalls as the motifs are very much old sampler looking.  But it was on my WIPGO board of mostly 'modern' smalls and ornaments.

The top is laced over four laminated layers of cardstock and two layers of "Warm and Natural" cotton quilt batting.   That gives it a nice smooth finish and the cording is 6 strands of floss per ply.  The instructions had a way of finishing the ends of the cording that I'd not seen before.   The knotted end of the cording is fed through the loop end and then cut with about a half inch end, which is splayed out to the individual threads and secured to the back of the cardstock.  It's a very clean and flat finish and one I'll remember for the future.  You can't use it for two color cording, though, because that has knots on both ends.   I know where the overlap is, but I can't even find it in the finished edge!  10 out of 10.  Will use again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.