Sunday, April 16, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching - April 16, 2023

Decent crafting week this last week, considering all the work stuff still going on.  We got through the first quarter close!  My team is the best.

First of all, I finished the little ornament / quilt block from Victoria Sampler that I was working on last week.  See the finished post here.  This is number 8 of 9 for the Christmas Wall Quilt that I am planning.

The Sugar Skull is at  41 hours and 7,940 stitches.   I'm still working on the bone color on the right side of the jaw, but I'm on the side of the teeth, so it won't be long before I can put the color in on other half of the chin and share a picture. 

But let's talk about the 'Not Counted Thread' project that is next up in the actual rotation.   "Majestic Eagle" aka "Eagle in the Pines" by Eileen Violet for Sunset Stitchery is the last of my 'zombie' projects that I found when I was cleaning out the basement.   It was started in 1983.  I know this because it was in a box that was never unpacked from when I got married and we bought this house.   (I'd ask my former self "WHY?", but she was a disorganized air-head LOL.)  It has almost failed the craft "triage" at several points, but I can't quite bring myself to discard it.  The picky parts (the eye/beak/feet are done.   The background pine needle clusters are bullion and long stitch, which will go fast.   But there's a lot of feathers in-between!

I think I'll concentrate on finishing off the rest of the head next, but before I can go much further on that, I have the darkest area on the bottom edge of the upper breast to complete, since the grey of the head will overlap that section.  

I think the reason that I kept putting off working on this project is that I have to think a lot more on a crewel project than I do on counted thread - what overlaps what, which stitch to use where, what direction does the stitch lay in?  Luckily, the stitch guide on this project is decent.  And the cover photo stayed with the project, which also helps.   I'm hoping that once I get going, it will be like a lot of things I procrastinate on - not as bad as I built it up in my head to be.

Linking up with the SSS crew for inspiration and encouragement.


4 comments:

  1. That is one old ufo! I’m glad you are going to get to work on it and finish it. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really great at Procrastination too, just pulled out a 20 year old project that is so close to finishing! Why on earth do I leave them so long? I'm looking forward to seeing this majestic looking eagle get some more stitches in him. Surely once you start again, you will be keen to keep stitching away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This poor thing got put away in a box and totally forgotten about until I was clearing out some deep storage a couple of years ago. I have very nearly trashed it a couple of times, but I really do kind of like it.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.