Sunday, April 21, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching - April 21, 204

 It's been a tough week.  Two deaths in my church family, both unexpected.  One of our ringers discovered last week that she was in the final stages of an aggressive cancer and she passed on Wednesday morning.  The funeral was yesterday and the bell choir played.  It was hard, Darlene was one of our founding members.  And I feel for her kids.  Her husband is in the early stages of dementia and she was the primary caregiver. I don't envy them the next few months. 

Our director did an arrangement of Amazing Grace that omitted her bells in a setting with the base bells doing a funeral toll throughout.   It was beautiful and went well.  We also put together a small tribute at her place in the choir; nobody but a fellow ringer would notice her upturned bells "at rest".  And we wear black gloves to ring, so hopefully someone looking at it without that knowledge would understand the intent.


The other death was even worse.  I'm not going to give details, because the police inquiry is ongoing, but it happened just two blocks from my house!  

In spite of tragedy and funerals and the garden getting started, I did have a good stitching week.  There were a couple of quarter end video meetings where my camera was off, so I got some time in on the current perforated paper Santa.  The cross stitch part is coming along.  There's still  a couple of tree colors, the second mitten (shows through the tree branches), and a cardinal perching on the top of the tree to go before I get started on the beads.

And I'm very close to finishing the current month section on the Birdhouses SAL.  Just the rest of the fence backstitch and neat little wren perched on top of the right hand picket left to go.  Look for a changeover post later today.  (ETA: That post is here.)

I'm going to be puttering around in the garden after church and healing my soul with growing things.  Linking up with the SSS crew here.


5 comments:

  1. What a sad week you have had! Such a lovely tribute by the bell choir for your friend, Darlene. Unexpected and tragic deaths are very upsetting. Spending time stitching and in the garden will heal your soul. My condolences to you.
    Beautiful stitching, as usual. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difficult week you have had. That tribute for Darlene is beautiful. Your perforated Santa is looking wonderful. I love the little duck in your Birdhouse piece. Sending prayers and wishing for a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully heartfelt tribute to your friend... and I love the cross stitch birdhouses... this sent me down a rabbit hole of Jardin Prive pieces... ordered several... can't wait to play with them...happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrible news to lose two members of your church family so quickly in the same week. Coldolznces to you and all those affected. On a lighter note, I do admire your pretty bird house stitchery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had a very difficult week. The tribute to your dear friend sounds lovely and I'm so sorry to hear of some issues so close to your home. I hope the gardening and stitching will help calm your soul. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.