Sunday, January 7, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block #2

Block 2 is named "Night into Day"   This is one of the 12 inch (finished) blocks.   This block is on a 16 patch grid, so my finished units are 3 inches square.

This block consists of 8 dark and light half square triangle units, and two each light and dark squares plus a center made of two rectangles.  I'm going to see if I can squeeze 3.5 inch cut half square triangles out of some of the corner cuts from the old mitered sashing.
A stack of corner miters from old sashing strips
Pat suggests using a similar but not the same fabric for the center rectangles.   That will give me a good opportunity to add in one of my 'new' blues in a logical manner and also to showcase the ticking stripe.   The same new neutral tone on tone muslin that I used in Block #1 will make a nice calm outer edge.

All cut out and ready to assemble

Layout:
And finished block, though I think the actual quilt top schematic has it turned 90 degrees - with the center block divided vertically instead of horizontally.   I would have to consult the layout diagram for all the blocks.  We are a long way from that point!

Solstice Block #2
The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh that surely is the '80s! I may have had that fabric, lol. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you track back to the 'intro' you'll understand why this is being recycled instead of trashed. I have several blues and an apron kit of the ticking stripe in my stash still. "Cut it smaller" as Bonnie Hunter says!

    ReplyDelete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.