Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Quilt WiP: "It was the 80s" - Block #1



Block 1 of Pat's design is a classic "churn dash"  block.   This is one of the 12 inch (finished) blocks.

This block is made on a 9 patch grid.   So my individual units will be four inches finished.   I should be able to cut the corner triangles out of the four patch and the bar sections from the diamond block.  Here are the blocks to be deconstructed  (actually started deconstruction before I thought to take a photo):

Old blocks


Since I want this quilt to be primarily blue and cream, I'll be discarding the bright rose (actually putting that fabric to use on the back or for small accents in blocks to come).  I will be adding new fabric in the neutral sections.

All pieces cut and the units assembled

units all ready to go
And a new block - square and tidy, starched and flat.
Solstice Block #1
This is such a classic, graphic design.   It works well in both traditional and modern quilts and as a 'framing' block for fussy cuts and special fabrics with the large center square.   As this is one of the fabrics that I do not have any more of, I was glad that the recycled blocks had used it in large areas for me to scavenge.  



The Solstice Quilt on Pat Sloan's blog with the blocks and layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.