Thursday, December 28, 2017

Quilt WiP (was UFO): It was the '80s Quilt - Fabric Choices and additions

The story continues from the introduction post; for the Unfinished Block of the Month challenge hosted by Jo's Country Junction, I am working on the Solstice Quilt by Pat Sloan (link to her blog with the blocks and layout).

I will be doing the asymmetrical setting and adding some fabrics to the mix and definitely additional tone on tone or shirting type neutrals.

Whenever possible, I will be using my original blocks, reworking them or substituting similar blocks.

Materials:

The original quilt had a fairly limited range of fabrics:  Dusty Blues, Rose, and Neutrals in cream tones

Blue:
  • a solid dusty blue - have about a yard of this left. 
  • a dusty blue print tone on tone in a large floral figure - I have some of this left
  • dusty blue with cream stars (used in the original sashing) - I can recycle most of the sashing
  • a medium blue with pink flowers and cream dots - only a few scraps of this left except for the binding (removed, washed and pressed).
  • a medium blue with cream dots in a geometric pattern - none of this remains (found more later)
Rose:
  • one BRIGHT rose solid (by bright, I mean 'you can see this from a mile away') - too much left - over a yard (ick)
  • a slightly duller rose with a small cream dot figure, sort of geometric - a few scraps left (found more later)
Neutrals:
  • two "Bonnie Hunter neutrals" - a blue and rose diamond pattern and a ticking type stripe with little hearts, cream background predominates on both.  I have more of both of these fabrics
  • tone on tone cream/muslin neutrals - at least two different ones, one small viney (a few scraps and one wof x 5 inch cut remain)  and one bold figure (none of this remains) - I have similar fabrics in my stash and they are still being made.
  • cream with dusty blue stars (used in the original sashing)   can recycle most of this and found a couple WoF scraps later)
  • a brighter white tone on tone (behind the Dresden Plate block) - none left
Blenders:
  • a rose, blue and cream plaid - none left (found some later)
  • a nearly navy background with dusty blue and dusty pink flowers - only scraps left (found more later)
Adding:
  • dusty blue with cream squares  - not geometric - just a bit of this
  • dusty blue with small navy/black squares - not geometric - about a half yard
  • a softer rose with a small geometric dot pattern  - about a yard
  • blue/white recycled shirt fabric - stripes 
  • several more neutrals with 'shirting prints' in blues. - about 3 fat quarter's worth
  • hoping to find another dark or two that will work with the darkest blue background.
Here are my fabrics (except for the ones that are all used up - you'll see those in the re-worked blocks).   I also have several blue and white striped recycled shirts, but did not include those in the photo because I'm not sure if I'll actually use them.


 I want this to read as a blue and cream quilt with rose accents.   So one thing I'll need to do is cut down the big chunky solid rose sections of several of the blocks and not use a lot of the smaller figured rose.  Luckily, since this is turning out to be 'controlled scrappy', I can add more blues as needed.   And as long as I stay on the denim/blue with grey undertone side of things, they should all work together.

Schedule of the work:

I know I also want to do a pieced back, since there a number of blocks that won't be reworked (plus getting RID of that awful rose solid).  In addition, there's all of the pieced setting areas for the top to do.  One of the checkerboard units (left side halfway down) will be replaced by English Paper Pieced hexagon work - there are three flower garden sets salvaged from the original plus additional hexis for the background out of old and new neutrals.  I'm still debating over the big checkerboard unit at the center top of the quilt.  Maybe a 'crumb block'?

"Solstice" was a 'block a week' quilt along; if I keep that schedule, this a 6 month project without the setting work or the backing, but that is a pace that I can hopefully keep up with.   I'm planning to make a block or section each weekend and report in weekly to show what I've accomplished. 


NOTE:  Found more scraps from this quilt later - in time to use for the sashings and to remake some blocks that had a lot of the dreaded bright rose solid in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.