Thursday, March 8, 2018

Needlework WIP: Dutch Beauty at 10 hours and rotation rules

Well, I hit the ten hour rotation mark on Dutch Beauty.  




I had really hoped to be done with the left side of the arbor by this point.   As you can see, I'm just short of that mark.  One large and two small flower/fruit motifs and one whopping big leaf short. 


My rotation is not a really set thing and I'm not tracking total hours on any of my projects.   Some people who use a rotation are quite strict about stopping right at their 'mark' and always using the same order.   My rule is that I have to get through every project before I start the next rotation, and I have to work AT LEAST ten hours on each one.   If it's not holding my attention and the stitching is a slog or if I'm really antsy to get on to the next project, when I hit the ten hour mark, I happily put that project back into hibernation and move on knowing that I put in a good, solid amount of work on it.   But it's OK to put in more time.  It's OK to shuffle around the slots.  


What I am strict about is the 'type' - one historic/vintage style, one modern style, one pictorial, and a finish/frame.   If I finish a project "early" (before the ten hours is done), that slot can either be 'done' until next time, or I can choose the next project of that "type" from the UFO bin.   If there's nothing of that type in the UFO bin (which won't happen for a while), then it's into the stash to pick.    
I do wish that I hadn't expanded my rotation to more than one piece per 'slot'.  A few years back, I let myself have two, then three of each 'type' and that's WAY too many stitching projects.   I'm trying to whittle it back down to just one project of each type.  Not counting the vintage linens that I inherited from my mom, I have three vintage/historic, two pictorials, and several modern pieces.  The Silver Needle class pieces are an issue.  I do not want them becoming UFOs, so class pieces get 'bumped' into the rotation right away.  The other two historic pieces are also class pieces, but are quite old now and I'm OK with them waiting until after Dutch Beauty is (finally) finished, or once I get through all the modern UFOs, I may pull those class pieces in.   I've also thought about having a fifth, optional slot just for class pieces.


Dutch Beauty is still holding my attention, I'm not anxious to move on (though I am looking forward to working on something else) and I'm SO close to a good stopping spot.   I'm going to continue on with this one until I get the four motifs at the top of the arbor finished.   I should finish that up by the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.