Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Needlework WiP: "VS 4 Elements: Fire" - Band 1

The new 'modern' slot is being filled with Victoria Sampler's "Bright Crimson Fire".  (link to designer's website) This is the second in a series of small band samplers celebrating the four elements of water, fire, earth, air.   All of them have a band of cutwork at the top, a band of bargello at the bottom and about a dozen rows of various texture, beading and drawn thread bands in between.  

I'm planning to work all four of them. 

I actually did the first one "Crystal Blue Water" years ago as an online class with the designer, Thea Dueck.  But when I pulled everything out recently, I discovered that the kit fabric from that first one had a different dyelot than the same fabric purchased locally for the other three.   Luckily, I had bought a 'width of fabric' cut for those and there's just enough room to squeeze out enough fabric to re-do 'Water' if the difference is noticeable when I get them ready to frame.   I was able to replace the 'beads and specialty fiber' packet from the designer's website as well.   With customs and shipping, it cost me more to get the tiny packet of beads than they cost, but that's the price of doing business with a company in Canada.

All four of the pieces of ground fabric are now serged and ready to go.  

The top band of is Hardanger cutwork.  This band has traditional kloster blocks (the 'humps' of the hearts), counted thread satin stitch (the sides of the hearts on the ends), shaped kloster blocks (heart points and the flames on top), and Algerian eyelets (in gold between the hearts and flames).

All the threads cut for the Hardanger needleweaving.  This step is always nervous making.  Though I can and have fixed cutting errors, the piece is always more structurally sound if you don't mess up the ground threads.

Pretty simple needleweaving in this band, just bars and three dove's eyes in each heart.

Some beading and this band is done.   One thing I really like about this band sampler is that it uses semi-precious beads.  The little hearts are red jade from Access Commodities.   I need to consider using some semi-precious beads on the other three in the series.  It always makes me feel connected to a very rich needlework heritage when I use very fine materials in a project.

Off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.