Saturday, November 17, 2018

FINISHED NEEDLEWORK: Hocus Pocus Oversized Ornament

For the finishing on this piece, I basically used the tutorial from Twisted Stitcher EXCEPT, instead of folding in the excess and gluing it down on the back, I ran a basting stitch around the fabric and gathered it to the back of the chipboard form.

I find that gathering instead of folding works much better for round and oval ornaments to give an even distribution of fabric.   Then I taped the edges (just in case) before putting the two pieces together.

I also whip stitch my cording or other edging in place instead of gluing.   I think it gives a nicer finish.  

Chart is "Hocus Pocus" by Heart in Hand
Fabric is 18 count rustic linen (over two)
Threads:  Silver Needle kit (included DMC perle, Gentle Arts Sampler Threads perle, Firewerks ribbons)

4 comments:

  1. great idea will share this with my daughter - she does these little pieces too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This was a fun stitch. It's actually pretty good sized - about 6 inches across, but it will look good in the center of a wreath, I think. The same technique works for any sized round ornament, though. I have several more in the 'finished but not finishing finished' pile!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a fun stitch. They always choose great projects for camp. All three years so far, I've loved every project.

      Delete

I am moderating comments due to getting some really nasty spam comments lately. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for stopping by.